Helm Komodo Microbrand review

Having recently ordered and recceived my Komodo, (a Seiko NH35 powered microbrand diver), I did a review video as I was very impressed with the quality of it.
I can also say the communication from Helm is exemplary, to the point they have, a short while ago mailed regarding my comments on the bracelet / strap fitted at packaging in the video, I'm waiting on another microbrand I ordered on a Kickstarter which is supposed to be due to ship very soon and have to say, the updates on the progress are very sparse compared to the sale adverts that keep appearing so far so this one is a very pleasant change.
Link here for anyone interested, thanks.

Mike

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have two Helm watches and they are very well made.  I passed on the Komodo due to it's size. (40MM is small for me.)  I did ask Mark Helm if he had plans for a larger version.  He has always been responsive to emails.

RMD

K_1.jpg

w.jpg

Edited by rduckwor
Addition
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Didn't you see the impact on your time machine? 🙂 Nobody told me this / or read it in any books but whenever I have a reading like yours one of the first things I check is the plate screws and in the majority of the cases the readings get better after tightening them, smoothing out your curves. If they are tighten enough it makes no sense to tighten them more as it brings no benefit but excessive force might cause the screwheads to brake off. You have the feel for it after a while. I have seen cases where the plate screws were not tight on purpose just to sort out some end shake issues but needless to say that's not the right way to go. Plate screws must be tight enough  just like the critical screws in automotive otherwise you screw up the whole movement in my opinion. I must stress that this is only my own opinion and i am just a hobbyist. 
    • I remember when I was in school the instructor would use whale oil on some problematic little tiny ladies watches because he felt it was a better oil. then for my birthday on my friends gave me a bottle of vintage nye watch oil. Complete with the advertisement inside which I have scanned below and what I find interesting is it hasn't gone bad in the model and it is super super thin I'm guessing the viscosity of water basically. then somewhere in the discussion group within the last year or so somebody purchased one of these bottles off of eBay and was using it on their watch. After all a bottle watch oil is? Apparently it was an expensive I'm guessing or it's what they had or something no idea what the final outcome was other than I found it amusing. then somewhere in the Internet somewhat it made up this interesting chart down below. I believe the first natural oil is there 8000 oil. Notice the friction properties in the first two columns in other words it's really good at reducing friction better than anything else.  But it does have additional specifications like contact angle which is almost never found in any spec sheet which has to do with how likely it is to spread. Big numbers are bad in those two columns and you can see spreading test it's very bad. So basically it's a really outstanding oil for a short period of time before it spreads away and of course being natural it has a habit of probably going bad very soon the best oil of course is Elgin oil at least the second version of their oil very good at reducing friction and very good at staying wherever you place it and still very fluid oil viscosity wise. then one of the most famous oils of all Swiss 9010 that I personally don't like and don't use quite a ways down on the chart personally prefer 9020 which unfortunately is not listed on this chart. It slightly heavier viscosity and has a little nicer contact angle those more likely to stay wherever you put it versus 9010 which universally requires epilam if you would like to stay wherever you putting it. then if you're in the viscosities here's an interesting chart that I found on the discussion group. ou will note there some minor variations between the viscosities listed here and the chart up above which may be attributed to the difference in temperature  universally everything is supposed to be at 20° C and the chart up above is at 40° C. Because what becomes interesting on the chart is 8000 is listed out of viscosity of 95 which does agree with their technical information and the PDF for the oil lists at 40° it is 41 where up above the chart everything is either listed as 50 or light whatever that means? Then Elgin oil is listed on the chart in a clever interesting way. you look on the chart at a viscosity of 125 you'll find Dr. Tillwich LGN oil which is the synthetic version of Elgin oil. Many years ago they had a request and gathered up a whole bunch of samples and synthesize the oil and for a while it was available for sale although it was rather expensive I had seen a bottle for about $100. and as far as viscosities go it does appear to be right in both charts in other words at 20° it's 125 and at 40° it's 50. So unfortunately it brings up the problem of viscosity or better yet contact angle determines the spread ability of your lubrication unfortunately we typically don't get contact angle we just get viscosity. So the casual trend is a heavier oil tends to not spread although as we can see from looking at the chart that isn't hundred percent true. As far as reducing friction goes viscosity doesn't necessarily come into play here either. Or basically we don't have enough of the right tech sheets to make a real proper comparison.
    • Somewhere in the back of my mind i thought you had the jewelled seitz pivot gauge, i was just asking if you had this scaled pin gauge as well. I might have just made up that thought  H. 😅
    • Yes, but the idea was that the OP wanted to be able to measure the diameter of the jewel holes in his collection of unordered jewels. Also, depending on the type of micrometre used one has to be careful not to dent the very small pivots (< 0.12mm) when pinching them in the micrometre. In my experience, the JKA Feintaster is safe to use also when measuring very small pivots. I don't understand your question, which I think was for me, no?
    • I didn't think there were any gauges under 0.1  .  I do like the old art deco tanks which are small sizes. My staff stash amounts to around half a mil. So i think I probably have that base covered. This 0.1mm set seems to be the most expensive, larger 100 piece set are about half the price. For around a 100 quid you can have sizes from 0.1 up to 4mm. Bugs me that they charge shipping for each seperate item so no combined shipping fee available.  Do you have the variable pin gauge as well ?