Question

I have an old Waltham pocket watch movement which is missing the impulse pin (roller jewel).  I have a limited number of actual jewels and since this is just a practice movement I thought I'd try to make one out of brass.  I've seen this several times in old pieces--usually a very sloppy job.  So I got some brass stock of the same diameter as the "D" in the roller table, filed it and burnished it to a high gloss.  Then I took a small, very fine diamond file and filed it half flat to form the "D"  I then polished the face using progressively finer sandpaper on a steel block.  This works fine--so far!  Problem is separation of the piece from the stock.  Again I used a small cutting file to do this but it doesn't leave the end very pretty.  So what I've done so far is to fit the good end into the roller table.  I then plan to shellac it in place and see if I can very carefully adjust the length and clean up the end.  Has anyone done this before?  Any suggestions as to how best to do it?  

5 answers to this question

37 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi    One suggestion is to fit the brass pin in a pin vise and polish the rough end in the same manner as you have used already, assuming that the new pin is over size and can be polished back

One problem I've had with that is that after I file it to a "D" it's difficult to hold in a pin vise.  

When working with small metal parts, (not necessarily watch parts, but this applies with those too), I will superglue the part to something I can easily hold, for example plastic card stock, or some other metal, then file away, drill, etc.  then dissolve the superglue in acetone to remove the part.

Edited by AndyHull

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

When working with small metal parts, (not necessarily watch parts, but this applies with those too), I will superglue the part to something I can easily hold, for example plastic card stock, or some other metal, then file away, drill, etc.  then dissolve the superglue in acetone to remove the part.

Yes, I think I'm gonna do that.  Thanks!

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:34 PM, AndyHull said:

I second this approach.  I'll just add heat can also be used to break down the superglue.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Buf
      Hello everyone 
      I recently bought a lot of pocket watches on Ebay. 
      Between them I found an Alpina pocket watch with movement UH 1116. I saw on internet that usually is referred as Alpina 1116.
      I got the following situation, while removing the wheels bridges, one of the ruby remained on the wheel. 
      Please take a look on the following pictures. 
      I also took some pictures with a microscope in order to explain better the situation. 
      Could you please suggest me what I should do? 
      Is what I got complete? Looking to another ruby it seems there is something missing (holding piece?) 
      Is the movement common? Do You believe I can find the bridge somewhere? 
      BTW I have also found a broken spring
      Many thanks in advance for your suggestions
      Regards 
      Buf

• By rickyb
      Just got my hands on a 
      Waltham 
      6 size
      Model: 1890
      Grade: W
      The other one's I saw like this in the pocket watch DATABASE (4) all have sub second hands.
      Mine does not. Is this possible?
    • By Bill3
      I am working on an Elgin pocket watch grade 312.  It was an estate sale purchase and was not running when purchased.  I assumed that it was not running because it was very dirty and thought cleaning would solve all the problems.  I completely disassembled it and ran it through an ultrasound cleaner and rinse. It came out bright and shiny and when I started to reassemble for the first time I saw that there was NO roller jewel!  
      So, what now? Can the roller jewel be replaced by a person with very modest ability?  I am including two pictures of the balance and roller plate.  I do not see any sign of where it was attached.  
      Thanks in advance for any guidance.  
      Bill H.

• By Ballefrostt
      Hello
      A friend of my father gave me this old pocketwatch to see if I could repare it. 

As you see in the picture, the balance wheel is extremely bent. I tried to bend it back, but i cant make it good enough.

Does anyone know where I can find a balancewheel for this Revue 30 movement? I have tried to search around online, however, I cant find any.

Is there a generic balance that would fit in here? 

Best regards
      Nicholas

• By alanmason
      Hi,
      This is my first watch repair project beyond battery replacement and bracelet adjustment. After buying 2 non running Ingersol Triumph pin pallet lever pocket watches I now realise that they are not the best to start with, however now that I have them in bits I'm going to continue. One watch was really a basket case, the other ran for a few seconds then stopped, I have stripped both, cleaned the good bits and reassembled one watch (several times) I have got it to wind and to run but when I try to adjust the hands the crown is jammed solid. To recap, the crown will wind the watch but not change the hands. This watch doesn't have a conventional cannon pinion, it has a rather flat pinion (see photo). Please excuse my terminology, everything seems to be a pinion.

So this little pinion (gear wheel) fits on the shaft (pinion?) of the centre wheel, I suspect that it is too tight, as I understand with a conventional cannon pinion there should be some friction to drive the hand but also enough slippage  to allow adjustment of the time. I'm not sure with this watch what sort of fit the pinion should be, and I would like to ask for advise before I remove any material and make it too loose.
      Best regards, Alan