Marshall

Mainspring Winders: Full set or piece by piece?

Of all the tools needed for watchmaking the mainspring winder seems to be the biggest hurdle. 

I've been poking around for a used Bergeon set (since apparently no other companies make these currently, not even from China?) but I don't fully understand what I actually need as far as sizes go. I see some are labeled as being for ETA movements, some are Rolex specific, but then there are just a bunch that seem labeled with sizes of some sort.

I could buy the handle, and the winder for the movements I'm working on now, and then just add to that as I go along. Or I could wait longer and spend more on a set of them. 

I realize that getting the set is cheaper if you are buying all of them anyway, but is that what would end up happening? Do I need every one of those sizes and types of attachments? Or can I piecemeal these out over time and end up with just the ones I actually need? 

Hi Marshall    An interesting scenario  I personally do it by hand with watches and use a home made device for clocks. Never had a problem hand winding as long as your hands are clean. With the watches as  you have found out there seems to be specifics for particular brands but I have seen some generic ones on the bay in the UK.  I think its a question of choice, how often you have the need and what is the most common one you use. its a matter of preference and associated cost.

Interesting, maybe I'll try that then. I guess I kind of assumed they were necessary to do it correctly but perhaps I overestimated it. 

Thanks for the advice either way :)