Thanks GregC

yankeedog

Inspired by fellow forum member. I ordered some 4mm stictching chisels.Paired to a rough looking but good running vostok 2209 ,It is my first attempt at a stitched leather watch band..A bit rough,but so is the watch.Since it only has to fit me,simple snap fastener.

IMAG0701.jpg

IMAG0702.jpg

• Like 1

I've been toying with doing something similar. I even have the leather punches. I also thought about using a sewing machine to do the actual sewing, but I'm not sure my skills on the machine allow the level of accuracy required.

What thread did you use?

Thanks guys.I just folded the leather in half.glued together with some black automotive silicone "Gasket snot" which is water proof and flexible. I used black nylon thread with a needle borrowed from my wife's sewing basket.cutting was done with a box cutter and a metal straight edge..if you measure twice and cut once you get a nice smooth edge

Edited by yankeedog
Content

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Well done Yankeedog do I suspect another hobby in the offing Leathrcraft ?.  Looking good

I look at this as an adjunct hobby.Truthfully we put a lot of work into these watches.To do what? Put some chee pass Wal-Mart strap on them? Even the old vostok in the photo deserves better than that! Why not make a strap tailored to your wrist and taste? It's not hard and it befits the time piece.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Calibetimepiece said:

Good job. Honestly, first time saw this type of band. 

Thanks.I have always loved leather straps ,but they do tend to separate and flexing them through the buckle and keeper are hard on the  leather. I am also not find of how they usually taper. I think the straight taper and snap  address these problems and simplify  fabrication.