Seiko 7002 Reassemble Success

Hello there, 

Ive been on here with quite a few posts in regards to my seiko 7002 watch movement. 

Im brand new to horology and wanted to open up my watch and see how it works. the amount of components that broke in this process is ridiculous. Last night after receiving my new escape wheel in the post. i had completely reassembled it and yet it still didnt work. At this point i wanted to launch the watch as far as i can out the window and was on the verge of tears. i sheared some pins on my watch dial face and now that is only held by one pin. i had ground one of the plastic wheels for the calendar change and a click spring almost pierced the metal cover plate. 

I had finally give up until i found out that my pallet fork was jamming the flow of train wheels and amended this. I was so relived that it was finally in beat. The satisfaction of getting this repaired was great! 

Where can i source a new navy blue dial face complete with pins from?

1 hour ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

Where can i source a new navy blue dial face complete with pins from?

EBay is the obvious suggestion but you'd likely have to buy a complete watch.

However, if you plan to continue this hobby, get yourself some dial dots and use one or two on the side where the pin came off. They'll come in handy for future watches.

You could also try to solder the dial foot back on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m1ks said:

EBay is the obvious suggestion but you'd likely have to buy a complete watch.

However, if you plan to continue this hobby, get yourself some dial dots and use one or two on the side where the pin came off. They'll come in handy for future watches.

You could also try to solder the dial foot back on.

Thank you for your advice. Never thought about soldering, great idea. 

What are dial dots by the way?

Hi   If you are considering  resoldering the dial feet/foot back on be careful not to mark the dial face. I should look up re soldering dial feet on the net and how to do it.  there are two methods using a small blow torch and transfering the heat down the foot to melt the solder chips,  or what is known as cold soldering using a dial foot machine which is in fact a low power arc welder. Both methods are explained on the net.    Dial dots are self adhesive pads they are double sided to enable you to place a dial on to the front plate securely, dont work on all watches because of the calender and date work, again this method is explained on the net

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

Thank you for your advice. Never thought about soldering, great idea. 

What are dial dots by the way?

Pretty much as Watchweasol above says.

I should have asked if your movement has a day wheel of course as that would mean dial dots wouldn't work, but they're small dots of double sided thin adhesive material that stick the dial to the movement and can be purchased in sheets from material houses.

Re soldering. I haven't tried it at all so please heed the useful advise in the thread above.

i suggest you DO NOT try and re-solder the dial it is not an easy task and if you dont have extensive soldering experience you will just damage the dial even more to where it will no longer lay flat on the movement. you can take it to a jeweler to do this.

as far as getting a new dial. Seiko does not sell dials individually but there are plenty of aftermarket dials for the 7002, but if you are a stickler for original you can buy a parts watch or there are sellers from phillipines that sell used 7002 dials but most are pretty beat up and nice ones do just as much as parts watch so mine as well go with that. another great site is speedtimerkollektion just type that in the google search to get to their site.

There is a good chance your dial may be aftermarket if it already is than just get the AM dial for $15

11 hours ago, RyanGreerMcGilloway said:

I have purchased another aftermarket set of hands and dial from somewhere in the Philippians.

When you receive it these please post  picture next to a genuine set. Very welcome to check lume also.

Sometime these are pretty good, sometime they are not, although the end we are talking about very affordable watches as mentioned there is always a  more or less evident issue of authenticity/unmolested status that triggers enthusiasts.

Edited by jdm