Whats wrong with my Omega?

Potential problems.

1. Out of beat, could happen if the watch was dropped.

2. Mainspring not good.

3. Dirty.

4. Bent/damaged pivots or pivot jewels...

I would take it back to the person who serviced it if the service was done recently.

Good luck

• Like 2

Take it back to the person or establishment that serviced the watch. Agree with anilv's analysis + there are many other possible reasons too. The only way to detect the fault is for a close inspection of the movement. 

• Like 1

Dose it repeat stoping at same hands position( time)? You probably removed hands altogether. Eliminate hands one at a time.

When it stops, remove seconds hand only. if the fault has remained. remove the minute hand as well, if the fault remains, remove the hour hand.

Dirty or faulty center tube, bent seconds hand, worn out center hole, dial plate center hole drift, so on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JONICURN said:

Omega 1481 serviced and fully wound occasionally stops but will restart only when hand are moved.  What gives?

Are the hands catching on each other or the crystal ? is it stopping in the same place

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JONICURN said:

The hands weren't catching.  I'm going to clean and re lube the mainspring and barrel.  I will post results.   Thanks ya'll

A dirty MS doesn't make a watch stop. Escapement fault (in first place), and other faults do.
You can also get important clue looking at it on the timegrapher. 

• Like 2

You mentioned it was serviced.. Did you service it yourself?

If you're going to dive in, suggest you start by removing the balance.. inspect pivots and hairspring. Next put some power into the mainspring and see if the pallet fork locks/unlocks properly. It should 'snap' from one side to the other.

If that is fine then remove power from the mainspring and remove the pallet fork. Wind the barrel a bit and the train should wind down. Try to move the wheels, if it spins a few more times then your have to inspect the pivots and pivot jewels closely. On older watches I usually find barrel holes worn.

Good luck.

Anilv

• Like 1

I re cleaned and re greased the mainspring (moebius 8200).  I wanted to replace the mainspring but didn't have one handy and it didn't look tired so i used it.  The watch is back working fine now.  If this happens again, i will have to look into the balance also.  The timegrapher is giving me good numbers and lines.  Thanks all. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, jdm said:

A dirty MS doesn't make a watch stop. Escapement fault (in first place), and other faults do.
You can also get important clue looking at it on the timegrapher. 

What JDM says.

I seem to repeat this a lot, but: you are more likely to have issues at the faster end of the gear train (including the balance/escapement) as there is considerably less torque at this end. It's a common assumption of beginner that mainsprings should be a likely cause of stopping a watch. Unless they are broken or slipping, this is unlikely to be the case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rodabod said:

What JDM says.

I seem to repeat this a lot, but: you are more likely to have issues at the faster end of the gear train (including the balance/escapement) as there is considerably less torque at this end. It's a common assumption of beginner that mainsprings should be a likely cause of stopping a watch. Unless they are broken or slipping, this is unlikely to be the case.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.  I will check on that too.