JONICURN

Whats wrong with my Omega?

Question

10 answers to this question

Potential problems.

1. Out of beat, could happen if the watch was dropped.

2. Mainspring not good.

3. Dirty.

4. Bent/damaged pivots or pivot jewels...

I would take it back to the person who serviced it if the service was done recently.

Good luck

Dose it repeat stoping at same hands position( time)? You probably removed hands altogether. Eliminate hands one at a time.

When it stops, remove seconds hand only. if the fault has remained. remove the minute hand as well, if the fault remains, remove the hour hand.

Dirty or faulty center tube, bent seconds hand, worn out center hole, dial plate center hole drift, so on.

7 minutes ago, JONICURN said:

The hands weren't catching.  I'm going to clean and re lube the mainspring and barrel.  I will post results.   Thanks ya'll

A dirty MS doesn't make a watch stop. Escapement fault (in first place), and other faults do.
You can also get important clue looking at it on the timegrapher. 

You mentioned it was serviced.. Did you service it yourself?

If you're going to dive in, suggest you start by removing the balance.. inspect pivots and hairspring. Next put some power into the mainspring and see if the pallet fork locks/unlocks properly. It should 'snap' from one side to the other.

If that is fine then remove power from the mainspring and remove the pallet fork. Wind the barrel a bit and the train should wind down. Try to move the wheels, if it spins a few more times then your have to inspect the pivots and pivot jewels closely. On older watches I usually find barrel holes worn.

Good luck.

Anilv

I re cleaned and re greased the mainspring (moebius 8200).  I wanted to replace the mainspring but didn't have one handy and it didn't look tired so i used it.  The watch is back working fine now.  If this happens again, i will have to look into the balance also.  The timegrapher is giving me good numbers and lines.  Thanks all. 

On 6/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, jdm said:

A dirty MS doesn't make a watch stop. Escapement fault (in first place), and other faults do.
You can also get important clue looking at it on the timegrapher. 

What JDM says.

I seem to repeat this a lot, but: you are more likely to have issues at the faster end of the gear train (including the balance/escapement) as there is considerably less torque at this end. It's a common assumption of beginner that mainsprings should be a likely cause of stopping a watch. Unless they are broken or slipping, this is unlikely to be the case.

6 hours ago, rodabod said:

What JDM says.

I seem to repeat this a lot, but: you are more likely to have issues at the faster end of the gear train (including the balance/escapement) as there is considerably less torque at this end. It's a common assumption of beginner that mainsprings should be a likely cause of stopping a watch. Unless they are broken or slipping, this is unlikely to be the case.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.  I will check on that too. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Yes, I think I'm gonna do that.  Thanks!
    • Looks like a fun project. I suspect there is little that would stop it passing modern electrical safety standards, so long as it is earthed, has the correct rated fuse, and a suitable mains cable attached. How does the speed controller work? Some of these old speed controllers use an interesting arrangement of compressible carbon disks as a variable resistor. I have an old Singer sewing machine that uses this arrangement, and a slightly newer Kenwood Chef mixer that uses a triac speed controller. Both are 1970s vintage, and both work well. I would inspect any capacitors associated with the motor assuming there are any, and perhaps replace those with modern suitably rated ones, but the rest I would suspect is fine. If the motor runs, then it will probably keep running. If this is a brushed motor, you might like to take the opportunity to clean the commutator with a bristle brush (not a steel wire one) and inspect the motor carbon brushes too. If the brushes are badly worn or damaged, they can kill the commutator pretty quickly.
    • When working with small metal parts, (not necessarily watch parts, but this applies with those too), I will superglue the part to something I can easily hold, for example plastic card stock, or some other metal, then file away, drill, etc.  then dissolve the superglue in acetone to remove the part.
    • A bit of a classic Timex. So much so that Timex recently released a Snoopy version of the new Miyota automatic based Marlins, and a bunch of other self homages in the Peanuts Charlie Brown, Snoopy & Friends range. This more petite version, I'm guessing from the mid seventies, is the one I remember from my childhood, blue dial and all. It is heading in my direction as a "non runner" (no surprises there), and I was the only bid at £1.93  
    • I have recently purchased a National, Electric Watch Cleaning Machine. Attached is a photo for reference and identification of the model type. As can be seen, it has a fairly typical design, reminiscent of many other types, particularly Elma Super Elite. In fact, I do wonder which came first - the National or the Elma. My musings on this point later. This is a very old machine, circa late 1940’s, 1950’s, but they seem to turn up sometimes on eBay, in various conditions ranging from the “beyond hope” and only really suitable as a donor for parts, and the “old but serviceable” and might-be-worth-a-punt-on machines. This one fell into the middle somewhere, as it was a bit tatty and the heating element did not work. On the plus side, it had all its original cleaning fluid jars and lids, and the motor and speed control gave smooth, controllable spinning and no play in the bearings. I went to visit the seller to inspect it and we did a deal on the spot. This is not always possible on eBay, but as the seller had listed it as for collection only (due to its weight), it was a possibility on this occasion. Once I had it home and gave it the once over, I decided that I would have to either do without heating for the drying stage, or find a replacement element. At the same time, it was very obvious that all of the original cabling was not safe to leave in place and it would all have to be removed and replaced. Any other electrical parts deemed unsafe would also be replaced as I inspected them. So - the idea of a restoration (of sorts) was born. Now - it is not my intention to restore it to the point where it could pass current electrical safety standards, but I will be making it as safe as possible, without losing any of the essential character of the original machine. This is not going to be for resale, so being safe to use is an acceptable compromise, in my opinion. I will however, perform testing on it once the electrical work is done, to make sure that the essential aspects of earth leakage, earth bonds and polarity etc. are passed. (PAT Testing included.) Whilst this is not likely to turn into another example of a superb restoration of an Elma Super Elite (as seen elsewhere on these forums), I hope at least to have at the end of it, a perfectly serviceable watch cleaning machine, and a restoration story - of sorts - of a vintage piece of English watch making and servicing machinery. So first off - the before pictures. This one is a good view of the machine and its cosmetic condition, as purchased. The base is a heavy, cast alloy jobbie, with its original crackle paint job beginning to flake away in places, where the years of cleaning chemicals have attacked it,  but generally sound. The jars still had residues of cleaning and rinse chemicals present. The first wash jar (front left), was particularly grotty and can’t have been cleaned for years. Fairly ironic not to clean the thing, that cleans the things! Maybe it was just left unused and unloved for many years. The mains cable was a cloth-bound type I have not seen in years and could well have been original as it still had the old UK wiring standard colours of red/black/green. Also adding to the vintage-ness, was a very old, Bakelite three pin plug. This must have been one of the first of its type as I have not seen one in brown Bakelite before! (And I am 62...) Anyway, that’s enough for now, as I’m not even sure anyone wants to read much about such an old machine. If anyone is interested though, please add comments and I’ll add to the story as I make progress. At the very least, I hope I have found a potential solution to finding/ making your own heating elements for these old machines, which could also include providing replacements for Elma Super Elite, RM80/90 HCS511 etc. Machines. More details later...