bodymassagewatch

Seiko 5606 movement for "open-through glass" application

Is there any difference in the 5606 movement depending on whether the model of Lordmatic movement it's in is opened through the caseback or through the glass? I'm looking to swap out the movement on my watch, which is accessible through the caseback, and am wondering if a 5606 movement found in an "open through glass" model would work?

This should be posted in "watch repair help".... anyway.

I believe there is no difference. Questions like this also suit well SCWF (thewatchsite.com), that is were all the Japanese vintage lovers hang out. Many are very knowledgeable.

When removing the movement while changing the crystal out i must've somehow damaged the balance wheel spring. Figured it would be easier (for me) to swap out the movement then trying to repair it. Also, how does one remove the crystal from these "open through glass" cases?

When removing the movement while changing the crystal out i must've somehow damaged the balance wheel spring. Figured it would be easier (for me) to swap out the movement then trying to repair it. Also, how does one remove the crystal from these "open through glass" cases?
Gonna have to be way more specific than that. There are multiple ways but first give us the 5605-xxxx code on the rear of said watch.

Sorry, it's the 5606-7030
Ok
Best thing you can do is Google
Seiko 03. Casing guide

Should be the first result. Download the PDF and look up your watch in the front index. It will appear as 5606-703
It will tell you on the indicated pages what you need to know.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• It seems an odd choice, but it may not do harm.  imo there is no reason to use a multiweight oil,  but maybe there are good reasons I missed.  I also don't see a reason to use a synthetic oil, won't hurt, but they are more money.  Regular oils don't break down until 270F - there's some serious issues if that's a factor with a lathe .  It seems a topic full of hyperbole and little expertise; there's one horology oil report claiming synthetic oils don't contain hydrocarbons!   What nonsense..  Multiweight oil are designed for internal combustion engines where there's a big temperature swing.  The low initial viscosity helps get oil pressure built up quickly and makes cold cranking easier.  But the engine quickly gets up 220F or so and the oil operates at its high viscosity (oil viscosity is determined at a set temp, i.e. an oil of X viscosity means its X at 40C, it will have a very different viscosity at 110C).  Your lathe just doesn't go through the same temp swings, say -40 to +220 n the dead of winter so I don't see how a multigrade makes any sense....except maybe because is readily available? In general with machines, motor oil is really frowned on because of the additives and detergents.  They're are needed do deal with combustion, but not wanted in a gearbox/bearing bath.  Watchmakers lathes are a total loss system so these objections I don't think matter much, but its worth mentioning in the context of machine tools and oils. With a 0W20 run a low temps, you're really only going to see the "0".   The zero isn't really zero, its just small, maybe the equivalent to ISO 3 or maybe 4. ( 0 Viscosity is superfluidity, liquid helium laboratory stuff).  So what really matters?  That its a clean mineral oil (i.e. hydraulic oil) and of the right viscosity (singular) So that's the real concern I had, Is ISO 3 or 4 enough?   I'd have guessed no, but maybe.   Most of these lathes don't come with a viscosity recommendation.  Clock oils often recommended are afaik much higher than 3-4 but (snake?) oil marketing, while full of lofty claims, rarely even states the viscosity!   .  I suppose it can be overthought, these lathes seem to easily last 100 years with whatever is put into them,.  So long as the oil is thick enough to keep the parts separate at speed, its thick enough.  Still, i think synthetic and multigrade oils in a plan bearing are, well, just not required.  
    • Thank you Mark that is very helpful.
    • 1970A 200ft Diver just in - missing crown and elapsed time ring. First steps in the restore. Note the Timex caseback tool. The movments began to run on windup but this will still go with a full cleaning and oiling. More to come - IMG_0520.MOV