Chromium plated or s/s ?

Johnnie

Hi all, I have been looking at Bergeon screwdriver sets and have noticed that they are Chromium plated or stainless steel and are priced differently. Is one better than the other? Is there a reason ? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I feel the need to know the answer !  Many thanks in advance.

Well it's just like watches and car parts were classified once upon a time, and I'm surprised that Bergen still plays this game.
Chrome plating is applied on a cheaper metal to  prevent oxidation and make it look good.
Stainless Steel is tough and looks good by itself.
Eventually the industry advanced so much that SS become preponderant for most uses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Well it's just like watches and car parts were classified once upon a time, and I'm surprised that Bergen still plays this game.
Chrome plating is applied on a cheaper metal to  prevent oxidation and make it look good.
Stainless Steel is tough and looks good by itself.
Eventually the industry advanced so much that SS become preponderant for most uses.

Thank you Jdm, question answered, stainless steel it is. 

1 hour ago, Johnnie said:

I believe the body, Measuretwice ! All I really wish to do is buy a good quality set of screwdrivers. If anyone can recommend a set I would appreciate it. 

The AF Swiss ones are perfectly good. Far more important is the quality of the tips and keeping them well dressed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I bought my set back in the 70's Chromium plated and they are still as good as the day I bought them. None of the plate has worn off. So if they are cheaper then s/s you might wan't to save some money.

Hi Oldhippy and thanks for your input. Well if you have used Chromium plated Bergeon since the 70s they must be fine.