Fitting generic Rolex crystals

I have a lady’s case style 69000A with a 2135 movt. I would like to install a generic sapphire with date bubble. I am putting the crystal inside the gasket rim and then I seat it on the case, but when I try to put the bezel in place to press it down, it is like the gasket is too thick. How are you all installing generic sapphires of this size?

ce116c685d67c55cb21187a4280f70ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would double check the size of the generic crystal. Generic parts are notorious for being marginally different. The other issue depending on the watches age, a genuine Rolex crystal has a holographed Rolex logo at 6 o'clock which can be seen with the aid of a LED torch. If this is missing the watch has been devalued.

• Like 1

Providing it fits over the bezel and doesn’t foul the glass that should do the trick. Now it does make me wonder as you are having problems if it’s the correct glass.  Do you have the old glass? If so have you compared the two.

I have had trouble with generic crystals before on Rolex Oyster cases , some won't go for love nor money and others have fitted a treat. They have always been Sternkreuz crystals that i've used so I guess there manufacturing tolerances aren't that of Rolex.

Haven't tried a sapphire crystal though to be fair

1 hour ago, Andyclient said:

I have had trouble with generic crystals before on Rolex Oyster cases , some won't go for love nor money and others have fitted a treat. They have always been Sternkreuz crystals that i've used so I guess there manufacturing tolerances aren't that of Rolex.

Haven't tried a sapphire crystal though to be fair

some watches are designed to only fit factory watches. i like to use generic plastic crystals.    my original batch of boxed  diameter, were made in India.   they seem to have gone out of busines.  they could be turned on the lathe to fit the lip.   vin 

Thank you all for your input.

I have gone back at Old Hippy's suggestion and made a closer inspection of the two crystals.

The diameter on each is identical however, it appears that the quality of the rim cut to receive the ledge of the gasket is not as good on this particular generic.  Also, in measuring the gasket wall, excluding the larger portion that is supposed to fit in the crystal rim cut, the dimensions of the generic are thicker.

Genuine gasket wall thickness .47mm 
Generic gasket wall thickness .52mm   This only adds to the circumference preventing the bezel from passing over this nicely.

IMG_1814.jpg?raw=1

IMG_1815.jpg?raw=1

Edited by GeorgeC