Baume et Mercier Hamilton Battery ?

Hi All - I own a Baume et Mercier Hamilton Quartz. It has not run in a while and I would like to replace the battery. It was purchased in the 1995 so there is no warranty. The only information I can find online is to send watch back to Baume et Mercier customer service. 

I am new to watch servicing world but I would think changing the battery of a quartz movement is not the same as servicing a Valjoux 7750. I could spend $45 and have it service by manufacturer but it would go against the reason why I joined this watch servicing community. 

Does anyone know what battery is needed and where I can purchase online ?

If there is a good reason why I should not change battery myself, I am open to discussion.

Thank you... AJ

You might have to pop the back off, or otherwise open the case to get the battery. The movement is probably made by someone else, like ETA, for Baume. However, without the movement caliber number it'll be more of a guess, methinks.

Otherwise, if you can find the same model on the auction site, and the back is off to show prospective buyers, that might clue you in. Still not definite though. Good luck.

On 6/7/2019 at 5:15 AM, ajdo said:

I will pop the hood of my Baume et Mercier Hamilton this coming weekend and see what I can find a reference number on battery. 

Even without a battery at all you can identify it by the mov.t, or by  the size of the slot using the table attached.

ScoSu_Consumer_renata.pdf

I tried to open B&M Hampton (purchased in early 90s) case but was unsuccessful and do not want to scratch it.

I think it’s time to start investing in better tools! 

I used one of those red knife-like that comes in a basic watch tool set but was unable to open the back of B&M Hamilton :( Tried the same tool on another inexpensive quartz watch I own and had the same issue, the “knife” just slipped off. 

I think I need some type of lever type tools which I suppose would make it easier. It could also be that I do not have the proper technic. 

If someone can shime-in on the proper tool I should get that would be great.

I guess it’s the biginning of a tools buying spree :) I will not work on my nice watches but my new found goal is to take appart, lube and put back together a Seagull 2824 I found in a clone Rolex I have. 

A tool list would be welcome. I am more middle of the road person, I do not like cheap tools but would not spend big $$$ on an activity I do not know will actually become a hobby. It’s really out of intereest for now but do not want to end up like Charlie Chaplin in Clock Repair short movie :)) 

Edited by ajdo
Watch model mistake

52 minutes ago, ajdo said:

I used one of those red knife-like that comes in a basic watch tool set but was unable to open the back of B&M Hamilton :( Tried the same tool on another inexpensive quartz watch I own and had the same issue, the “knife” just slipped off. 

As often asked, tight snap on case backs are opened by first going around slowly and carefully with a blade like an exacto knife. After is lifted enough theb use a case back knife, Japanese types are good, pry around don't twist it. 

These subjects are well covered in the forum, just browse around. 

Since you mentioned better tools.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Watch-repair-tool-Heavy-Metal-Made-Adjustable-Watch-Case-Snap-Back-Opener-professional-removal/32344173972.htm

With tips for bracelets, $10 more
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Watch-repair-tool-Heavy-Metal-Made-Adjustable-Watch-Case-Snap-Back-Opener-professional-removal/32344173972.html

You also need a small press to close the back. But unless you do a lot of snap back, they are totally an overkill. Much more needed is good screw-in opener.

• Like 1