Seiko 5 Reference Numbers Not Matching ?

Hi Ladies & Gents 

I hope you are all well 

I picked myself up a Seiko 5 this week as a spares or repairs. It runs but stops intermittently and the plan was really just to use it as practice piece to strip down and fix up again.

I am relatively new to the world of Seiko model and reference numbers but I wanted to check in here first to see if you guys could shed any light on why the dial and case back numbers don't appear to correspond as I have read that they sometimes don't. 

The dial numbers : 6319 - 495L R 

Case Serial Nr: 551053

Case Movement Number: 6309-7320

I plugged the numbers into a Seiko date finder and it came back with May 1985, if the watch is a mix match though it may not be accurate. I'm suspecting it might have had a dial change at some point.

Any Thoughts ?

Many Thanks

Dave  

IMG_20190606_143513.jpg

IMG_20190606_143532.jpg

IMG_20190606_143621.jpg

You posted in "Your Projects, Walkthroughs and Techniques" but this actually belongs to "Your watch collection".

Anyway, your watch seem to be one of the infamous "Bombay special", made with whatever they had in had.
The dial, misalignment as it is, can't ever have belonged to a 6139, simply because that is a popular chronometer hence it has sub-hands.

You can check http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/ as a Seiko 5 resource, however it is doesn't like any of the 6306 models like your.

18 hours ago, jdm said:

You posted in "Your Projects, Walkthroughs and Techniques" but this actually belongs to "Your watch collection".

Anyway, your watch seem to be one of the infamous "Bombay special", made with whatever they had in had.
The dial, misalignment as it is, can't ever have belonged to a 6139, simply because that is a popular chronometer hence it has sub-hands.

You can check http://www.watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/ as a Seiko 5 resource, however it is doesn't like any of the 6306 models like your.

Apologies for posting in the wrong section... but thank you for the info, I had a feeling that all was not right with it but in truth i really just wanted it for the movement. We live and learn. 

53 minutes ago, ro63rto said:

The dial looks the same as a 7009-3101 gold sunburst dial so I think it's safe to say it is a Seiko one, just not from this watch.

Like this? But since it's printed 6139, it's fake. Not a big deal really. il_794xN.647694778_aa8b.jpg

Like this? But since it's printed 6139, it's fake. Not a big deal really. il_794xN.647694778_aa8b.jpg&key=26802f215db0cd080609d100895c7a77d04bd5e5482df04435dc4aecf987705d

But its not printed 6139 (chrono)
It's printed 6319
Even then, Seiko Oceania doesn't list a 6319 with dialcode 495L, only the 7009-3101.
So yes, a Feiko of sorts.

31 minutes ago, ro63rto said:

But its not printed 6139 (chrono)
It's printed 6319
Even then, Seiko Oceania doesn't list a 6319 with dialcode 495L, only the 7009-3101.
So yes, a Feiko of sorts.

Thank you for correcting me. I have looked better at the OP picture, the dial is printed "made in Japan", to my knowledge Seiko has never printed dials with that? 

Edited by jdm

The idea of wearing a Feiko doesn't sit all that well with me :biggrin: so I will just use the movement to practice on as was the original plan and put the case / dial in the spare parts drawer. I appreciate all the comments though, ill be a bit more observant buying Seiko's online in the future, fortunately it was very cheap. 

Edited by Dave84

33 minutes ago, Dave84 said:

The idea of wearing a Feiko doesn't sit all that well with me :biggrin: so I will just use the movement to practice on as was the original plan and put the case / dial in the spare parts drawer.

I find it nice overall, especially the case..You should see the really ugly ones!
For the best finds what Seikophiles do is to scour Yahoo Japan, but you will have to use a buying agent. I have a very good one myself.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

I find it nice overall, especially the case..You should see the really ugly ones!
For the best finds what Seikophiles do is to scour Yahoo Japan, but you will have to use a buying agent. I have a very good one myself.

'Seikophiles' :biggrin: any recommendations for agents ? could be fun searching through Japanese listings.

1 minute ago, ro63rto said:
3 minutes ago, Dave84 said:
it sounds as though you are commenting from experience ??emoji3.png

50 watches and counting (80% Seiko) and I haven't even ventured into Yahoo Japan except via a friend for an OEM faceted crystal for my LordMatic.

Well, I have dipped my toe in very recently after buying this one below in May, I have now been bitten by the bug and would like a 'few' more....

IMG_20190424_154605 (2).jpg

IMG_20190504_133739.jpg

IMG_20190504_135918_189.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dave84 said:

'Seikophiles' :biggrin: any recommendations for agents ? could be fun searching through Japanese listings.

japonicamarket is good, cheap, and accomodating about declared value.

If you get a "whole lot" of Seiko 5 that will keep you busy for a good while, but there aren't many of these. Quartz, no name and ladie's lots go literally for pennies. 

• Like 1