Bergeon Automatic Oiler 1A Unpacking, Demonstration, Review

Like most of us, I look for perfection and oiling cap jewels with a regular oiler take a lot of practice and patience. I found myself having to reclean and re-oil over and over before I could approve my work. So, I decided to invest in an automatic oiler for this purpose and although very expensive I think it was worth every penny, and I was so happy about it that I decided to make a video about it. Please bear with me though as this was my very first attempt at video editing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The 1A is great, makes cap jewel oiling a breeze and those fiddly Seiko train jewels which you're guaranteed to fit first attempt when dry but push out of place so you have to clean and re oil several times when you try to oil before placing.

May I make a recommendation which comes from having much practise with spilling things over the years doing this and model kit making.

Keep a lump of blu tack handy and place a blob on the bottom of any bottle you're decanting liquid from, until the cap is back on firmly.

9010 is very expensive to accidentally swipe across your desk. :)

• Like 3

On 6/5/2019 at 1:12 PM, m1ks said:

The 1A is great, makes cap jewel oiling a breeze and those fiddly Seiko train jewels which you're guaranteed to fit first attempt when dry but push out of place so you have to clean and re oil several times when you try to oil before placing.

May I make a recommendation which comes from having much practise with spilling things over the years doing this and model kit making.

Keep a lump of blu tack handy and place a blob on the bottom of any bottle you're decanting liquid from, until the cap is back on firmly.

9010 is very expensive to accidentally swipe across your desk. :)

Excellent advice, thank you! It's those little things that sometimes make all the difference!

Indeed, and I was actually feeling a bit worried while recording the video...:unsure:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do it the opposite way. It didn’t work for me pushing the button up first, I was getting oil around the chaton jewel rather than on the end stone. Strange, I can see it in the video it works for you to push the button up first, I must be doing something slightly differently.

I follow the instructions:
I insert the needle into the jewel hole (the needle will retract slightly when it touches the end stone)
Then I push the button up until it touches the eccentric screw, then I release the button to it’s resting position and finally take the oiler out.
This method worked perfectly every time. Although I only just got it so I will play around with it.

The instructions aren’t great. I keep the gasket on and push it up to hold the button up when not in use and the oiler is in its stand. I think that’s what they want me to do.

2 hours ago, PeterS said:

I do it the opposite way. It didn’t work for me pushing the button up first, I was getting oil around the chaton jewel rather than on the end stone. Strange, I can see it in the video it works for you to push the button up first, I must be doing something slightly differently.

I follow the instructions:
I insert the needle into the jewel hole (the needle will retract slightly when it touches the end stone)
Then I push the button up until it touches the eccentric screw, then I release the button to it’s resting position and finally take the oiler out.
This method worked perfectly every time. Although I only just got it so I will play around with it.

The instructions aren’t great. I keep the gasket on and push it up to hold the button up when not in use and the oiler is in its stand. I think that’s what they want me to do.

I would think it more likely to damage or break the needle doing it that way.

I have the book still opened on that page on my desk! Yes I did read it and this method was the first method I tried but I couldn’t do it, the oil always ended up around the chaton jewel.
M. Wiles uses Bergeon 2718 and the new ones are 7718, I don’t know whether there are any differences except the stand.

This is from Bergeon:

20190728_154853 (Copy).jpg

I had another go and it works just fine.
Maybe I didn’t have the oiler straight and the needle was hitting the chaton or the chaton jewel.
Both methods work well. The pic with one hole in the rodico is push the button first, and the pic with two holes in the rodico is the needle in first method.

20190728_171228 (Copy).jpg

20190728_173112 (Copy).jpg

• Like 1