Trouble pressing case back on.

Examine the case back for burrs and damage.  You may need to lightly polish the edge of the case back rim with fine grit or a fine file to remove corrosion or other debris that is making things difficult. Ensure everything is sqeuaky clean before you proceed. The rear of the watch should be immaculate before you even attempt to put the back on. Any dirt or debris will find its way to the dial side eventually.

Check to see if there is a particular orientation the back is meant to fit in.

Apply a small amount of suitable grease to the edge of the back. Use a crystal press, but ensure you are  pressing on the body of the watch not the glass, as you don't want to damage the crystal.

Ensure everything is completely flat when pressing back on, and I do mean completely flat. The fit is often very tight, so if you have things slightly off true, then it will never go back on.

Edited by AndyHull

Another little thing as well as the above mentioned is make sure the caseback die is big enough , a to small a die tends to just exert pressure on the middle of the caseback therefore flexing the caseback edges out a little thus making the back bigger and harder to get on . You want the die to be as big as the caseback really and as also mentioned , some can put up a good fight

• Like 2

I use a drill press.  Plastic to protect crystal and case. Using  the largest socket that covers the case back ,I press the Chuck into the socket and press down. Plenty of leverage. Works every time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2019 at 6:23 AM, AndyHull said:

Examine the case back for burrs and damage.  You may need to lightly polish the edge of the case back rim with fine grit or a fine file to remove corrosion or other debris that is making things difficult. Ensure everything is sqeuaky clean before you proceed. The rear of the watch should be immaculate before you even attempt to put the back on. Any dirt or debris will find its way to the dial side eventually.

Check to see if there is a particular orientation the back is meant to fit in.

Apply a small amount of suitable grease to the edge of the back. Use a crystal press, but ensure you are  pressing on the body of the watch not the glass, as you don't want to damage the crystal.

Ensure everything is completely flat when pressing back on, and I do mean completely flat. The fit is often very tight, so if you have things slightly off true, then it will never go back on.

Hi AndyHull,

Please, what would be a suitable grease for that, in your opinion? Would any of the greases we already have be good? Moebius 8200, molykote, or plain industrial vaseline? 

2 hours ago, marcoskaiser said:

Please, what would be a suitable grease for that, in your opinion? Would any of the greases we already have be good? Moebius 8200, molykote, or plain industrial vaseline? 

I don't think grease will help, pay attention to what Ancyclient wrote above, the die must press on the perimeter only. You have a lathe so no problem for you to make a better die if needed.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1