Seiko 7002 Loosing Time

Hello there,

Im very new to watch movements but will love to restore this one i have eventually. 

Im just looking for advice, my Seiko 7002 automatic Divers Watch seems to be loosing time, i think this my derive from the second hand occasionally stopping randomly.   

I brought this watch from ebay last week and wear it all the time i also give it a 2 minute shake twice a day, so there cant be a reason that it isnt fully charged.

Is there an easy fix or will i have to strip down the watch and clean / oil it. 

Kind regards, Ryan

Without it being put on a timing machine we can't really say, but if the second hand is occasionally stopping unless it is just loose which I doubt the watch probably needs servicing, which would require a complete strip down, clean and oiling.

I treat any watch I get from ebay especially including ones that state 'Has just been serviced' as most likely in need of a service

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello there,

Thankyou very much for your promt response, I was afraid it might come to this, so ive prepared myself by recently purchasing an watch repair kit and oils.

I will first check to make sure the second hand is securely on. 

I will most likely just follow restoration videos on youtube and get it overhauled. 

Is there any reason why the watch also keeps a bad power reserve? 

Kind regards, 

A fault in the selfwind mech can cause poor power supply. Poor power reserve indicates a fault in the power reserve mech. 

Test;  to find out the actual power reserve.

Wind full, manually through ratchet wheel by a screwdriver in ratchet wheel screw slot.The automatic mainspring will dislodge from the barrel wall and releases power at some point, you can here the sound of power discharge ( listen close) try to count the number of turns before the power discharge,  Wind again, stop just short of power release ( turns you counted before). Set the watch on bench, record how long it runs.

We,ll see you with the result. Regards

A fault in the selfwind mech can cause poor power supply. Poor power reserve indicates a fault in the power reserve mech. 

Test;  to find out the actual power reserve.

Wind full, manually through ratchet wheel by a screwdriver in ratchet wheel screw slot.The automatic mainspring will dislodge from the barrel wall and releases power at some point, you can here the sound of power discharge ( listen close) try to count the number of turns before the power discharge,  Wind again, stop just short of power release ( turns you counted before). Set the watch on bench, record how long it runs.

We,ll see you with the result. Regards