i need your opinion, is this kif installed correctly?

The kif spring came out whilst removing the end stone. Wasn't too tricky to replace, which makes me think have i haven't put it back correctly...

i thought there was supposed to be a gap which it slides under, but it appears to just grip at the sides. 

Have i pushed it on far enough?

2016_0911_155734_001.JPG

2016_0911_155927_003.JPG

Edited by AP1875

No, it is not right --almost but not there. It will probably disengage as soon as you wear the watch or flip the movement upside down. You need to make sure that when you install it that the rear prongs slide into the small grooves in the setting, and not just grip the sides. It should look like this:

1484447707_ScreenShot2019-05-30at1_13_17PM.png.2cf66dbd98f71187a0c7fba4bc551a6f.png

Here is a video that shows how to replace KIF.

Joe

Edited by noirrac1j

I've pushed it up further and now it looks the same as this (this is a picture before i removed it, i've taken a picture of it now but it didn't work, chinese microscope) . There doesn't seem to be a groove?

2016_0909_204850_001.JPG

Oh boy.....well, check this area closely. Isn't there a small tab or shelf that the spring ends can slide under? If there isn't, I guess you'll have to make do with closing it the way you did. Be gentle because these will break easily, but if possible making sure it's as close  as it can get to the bottom of the setting plate. Hope it doesn't "ping" out when it's all put back together.

J

Slide1.jpg.2c021a6246d65bafdb041e048d4c6504.jpg

well, i should've kept my mouth shut about it not being too difficult to install, i've taken it out again and it's not going back in. whilst it's out i'll have good look at the area you highlighted and see if there really is a gap or not. If you look at the picture above that was taken before i started playing, it looks like it's sitting much higher than the are with the arrows

on a side note so this doesn't feel like a life or death situation, do you know the type of kif spring? i will order some from cousins 

1 hour ago, AP1875 said:

here are some pictures with the jewel removed. What do you guys think?

2016_0911_182606_007.JPG

2016_0911_182315_001.JPG

The locking side for the KIF legs are as they should be, but the base side allows too much clearance to really secure the spring when opened. I guess it's best to simply replace the spring at the base (as best you can) and then lock it in place. You might want to take a break and go back to it later...believe me its very easy to get frustrated and break the darn thing. 

J

6 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

The locking side for the KIF legs are as they should be, but the base side allows too much clearance to really secure the spring when opened. I guess it's best to simply replace the spring at the base (as best you can) and then lock it in place. You might want to take a break and go back to it later...believe me its very easy to get frustrated and break the darn thing. 

J

Thanks for the advice J. Looking back I can't believe how easily I installed it first time and then once I realised I hadn't pushed it in properly I just pushed it forward with my tweezers, no drama. Now after 90 minutes I've got to leave it until I can focus properly again. 

Do you know the size of the KIF? The inevitable will happen at some point... 

Edited by AP1875

EAsy does it...the inevitable can be postponed indefinitely. I always stop and cover my work when I start to feel like it HAS TO BE DONE NOW!! That's a red flag for me....Regarding the KIF, take a look  this chart: 

99203190_ScreenShot2019-05-30at4_54_43PM.png.097cf20aac80a82976d418771364f3e2.png

It looks like KIF 3-2 or 3-3 elastor would work. Maybe someone else can provide more info on what exactly Rolex 4130 uses.

Be warned. I have been through similar situations like this with Chinese clones of ETA movements. They use their own poor material springs and do not follow authentic sizing.

Take your time and try to reinstall the spring that came out of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaycey said:

Be warned. I have been through similar situations like this with Chinese clones of ETA movements. They use their own poor material springs and do not follow authentic sizing.

Take your time and try to reinstall the spring that came out of it.

This one could be different as their objective was to create a movement as close to the original as possible. I will take my time. It would just be nice to have some spares if available 

Good luck, their aim was the same with the ETA clones but they continue to use inferior material for screws and springs and this is a major downfall in their clones.

All the current Rolex clones are instantly recognisable as copies by their balance assemblies. Not even close...

20 minutes ago, jaycey said:
10 minutes ago, jaycey said:

Good luck, their aim was the same with the ETA clones but they continue to use inferior material for screws and springs and this is a major downfall in their clones.

All the current Rolex clones are instantly recognisable as copies by their balance assemblies. Not even close...

I know I said that above. This is the only copy of of an In house chronograph movement where every part is interchangeable with genuine Rolex parts. Even the 7750 copy isn't completely interchangeable. Which leads me into thinking the kif springs could work

These are the only movements I can afford to work on, so have had to learn about them. Will try the springs mentioned and post here so can be referenced in the future

Edited by AP1875

Keep us updated, I and presumably the rest of the replica fora be interested in interchangeability between shock springs. I never did see it with the ETA clones.

The 7750 copy is quite nice, until you get to the auto bridge:wacko:

• Like 2

Overa

6 minutes ago, jaycey said:

Keep us updated, I and presumably the rest of the replica fora be interested in interchangeability between shock springs. I never did see it with the ETA clones.

The 7750 copy is quite nice, until you get to the auto bridge:wacko:

Overall it's quite amazing what they have produced here but as you said previously the parts are poor quality and that hasn't changed with this movement.

i Just need some help with my shock spring selection.

I have found the part required for the balance i need Elastor 3.3 1.75

Screenshot_20190531-195936_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5db3821939ede253373cf0be6d13c880.jpg

For the escape wheel it would be 3. 1.50

Screenshot_20190531-200104_Instagram.thumb.jpg.aac51e8610e4626766433b6f0158a981.jpg

Here is a KIF chart ive made this selection from (on the left)same as J kindly posted above473426681_Screenshot2019-06-01at12_37_37.thumb.png.6a0b67874ac4227e579dd588b31e009e.png.

So when on the Cousins website you get minimal infomation.

Would you select the same as me based on the info i have found?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/kif-shock-springs

When looking at the 3-2 for the escapement it says next to it (=3-8). Can anyone explain this, does this affect my selection?