lubrication, the sequel ?

Hello all!

After delving through this part of the forums, I found the post on pocket watches and their lubrication and I managed to download the Moebius pdf.

Quite useful info indeed.

Is there a possibility that someone "in the know" would give his opinion on the same subject but specifically for wristwatches?

I would also like some opinions of Augusta oils, as an alternative for Moebius.

Thanks!

Patrick

Oh this is gold !  I must have overlooked this somehow!

Thanks you for this.... I am already printing it!

Since you took the effort to answer my post... any thoughts on Augusta oils?

Patrick

On 5/30/2019 at 11:37 AM, Paddy1302 said:

Oh this is gold !  I must have overlooked this somehow!

Thanks you for this.... I am already printing it!

Since you took the effort to answer my post... any thoughts on Augusta oils?

Patrick

Never heard of augusta oils but i wouldnt use anything other than moebius unless there is another watch oil made or specified by the watch's manufacturer.

Could you be suspected of not being European ? LOL

I can imagine that they don't market their products in the US (or even the UK for that matter)

It is quite a well respected brandname here for lubricants, fine abrasives and general micro mechanical 'consumables'.

Price-wise ..they are a bit cheaper, but not that much that it would make a difference in the long run.

There are several other brands, I can think of a few German and Austrian ones that are very well respected in these parts and are used by professional watchmakers.

It seems Moebius has conquered most of the market though, and indeed they make a very fine product, but it feels like we're all missing out a bit by believing there is nothing else around.

Most of my modest supply is Moebius as well, but I am always on the look for other things too. Not because of dissatisfaction or price (they're all in the same ballpark anyway : I have never seen a cheap AND good lubricant).

The one thing I have to give Moebius, is that their selection is complete to the extreme... they literally have a grease or oil for everything! (as far as watchmaking goes). Most other brands don't make this many distinctions... Which leads one to wonder...how much of that is true technology and how much is marketing.

That all said, nobody has ever gone wrong BY using Moebius oils and following their recommendations ...

Thanks for your reply man... 't is greatly appreciated !

Patrick

'

5 hours ago, Paddy1302 said:

Could you be suspected of not being European ? LOL

I can imagine that they don't market their products in the US (or even the UK for that matter)

It is quite a well respected brandname here for lubricants, fine abrasives and general micro mechanical 'consumables'.

Price-wise ..they are a bit cheaper, but not that much that it would make a difference in the long run.

There are several other brands, I can think of a few German and Austrian ones that are very well respected in these parts and are used by professional watchmakers.

It seems Moebius has conquered most of the market though, and indeed they make a very fine product, but it feels like we're all missing out a bit by believing there is nothing else around.

Most of my modest supply is Moebius as well, but I am always on the look for other things too. Not because of dissatisfaction or price (they're all in the same ballpark anyway : I have never seen a cheap AND good lubricant).

The one thing I have to give Moebius, is that their selection is complete to the extreme... they literally have a grease or oil for everything! (as far as watchmaking goes). Most other brands don't make this many distinctions... Which leads one to wonder...how much of that is true technology and how much is marketing.

That all said, nobody has ever gone wrong BY using Moebius oils and following their recommendations ...

Thanks for your reply man... 't is greatly appreciated !

Patrick

'

I Live in US and i guess you are right, there really is nothing out here besides moebius, they completely cornered the market. there are other lubricants I use besides moebius and thats kluber for automatic mainspring breaking its betetr than moebius and actually cost alot more. other than that i use molykote for metal to metal friction grease. as far as the wide variety i dont believe its for marketing at all because each oil has a specific purpose and even if they make 5 oils for the same purpose they all have different properties, such as viscosity which some prefer different viscosities for different types, sizes or brand movements. I.E. 9010 and 9415 are made for the same purpose, but 9010 is an oil 9415 is a grease but liquifies into oil when there is friction. This gives that type of lubricant excellent anti spreading quality and eliminates the use of epilame on the escapement. some moebius oils will have two versions of the same oil one will have fluorescent tracers in them so they can be seen under UV light. Comes in handy when trying to see how much oil you applied, and knowing if you applied too much. so def. not a gimmick each oil is engineered to give the watch maker as much versatility as possible in the ever expanding technologies in watch making

• Similar Content