Chinese Timegraphers

Weishi 1000 or 1900, both do the same thing. The over thing I like about the 1900 is the dual colour track. When setting a movement in beat it's really easy to see if you've hopped over from one side to the other. 

e.g. be of 0.5, adjust, be of 0.2, you're aiming for that perfect spot but I'd this 0.2 on the same side or did you skip over?

Until you nudge that little bit more you can't tell unless you see the colours swapped.

But that aside I'm sure there's very little between them in capability.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:00 PM, bosstaki said:

Hi guy’s! I’m thinking of buying my first timegrapher machine! What’s the best machine to buy as a beginner without breaking the bank please!Cheers guy’s!

Have you checked out pinned topic in the dedicated tools section?

Actually I'd suggest our friendly mods to merge your question in there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looking also for a timegrapher...

What are your opinions about this one? ( Not cheap )

I think it's a good one, it's professional I know, but like I said before, you never know you want to make some money later with the watch business, so I like to buy from the start good materials.

Thanks!

https://www.beco-technic.com/geraete-maschinen/uhrenpruefgeraete-kontrollgeraete/geraete-zur-pruefung-von-uhren/zeitwaage-chrono-touch-inkl-mikrophone-mp12-fuer-mechanische-uhren.html

https://www.beco-technic.com/media/pdf/218935_en.pdf

Edited by Koen

2 hours ago, Koen said:

Looking also for a timegrapher...

This thread is about Chinese (cheap) timegrapher, anyway how much it cost? 

Are you sure that as a beginner hobbyist you need a professional model? Beside the "pleasure" of owning expensive tools. 

Have you diagnosed ot regulated a watch before? Euro 200 or 2,000 instruments would work the same. 

So in addition to the question that just now got asked before me I would be curious about the price and the price of the other two items I added to list below. Then I have a link to the manufacturers website.

So I see it has in our oscilloscope feature that's nice. hen it might just be my reading skills but on the spec sheet and the users manual nowhere to my finding technical specifications other than just it will do these things. So if you look at the witschi technical specifications they give you in detail all the ranges and all the specifications and that seems to be lacking on this machine.

http://greinervibrograf.com/?pageID=34&lng=en

https://www.beco-technic.com/geraete-maschinen/uhrenpruefgeraete-kontrollgeraete/geraete-zur-pruefung-von-uhren/witschi-watch-expert-pruefgeraet-fuer-mechanische-uhren.html

https://www.beco-technic.com/geraete-maschinen/uhrenpruefgeraete-kontrollgeraete/geraete-zur-pruefung-von-uhren/witschi-chronomaster.html

Chrono Touch Operating Manual.pdf

12 hours ago, jdm said:

This thread is about Chinese (cheap) timegrapher, anyway how much it cost? 

Are you sure that as a beginner hobbyist you need a professional model? Beside the "pleasure" of owning expensive tools. 

Have you diagnosed ot regulated a watch before? Euro 200 or 2,000 instruments would work the same. 

Sorry I put my question in the wrong topic, but din'd want to start a new one, because it's all about timegraphers.

Thank you sir for being worried with me, but let me tell you a story. 

You can go to a DIY store for a screwdriver and buy one for 1 euro, because you think it do what it's need to do, turning screws in and out, next mond it's broken and you buy a new one of 1 euro and so on.

After one year, you are tired and buy one of 10 euro. ( So now you have one (good) screwdriver and payed 22 euro total)

In real life, my principe is to buy not the most expansive one, but also not the cheapest one. ( This since I am 20 years old )

Few years ago, I did not follow my principe for one time... Wanted to buy a scooter to take with me in the RV, I only use the scooter for 2 weeks so I buyed a 2000 euro cheap one... after 2 weeks I notice it's not the quality I was expecting, sold it after those 2 weeks for a 1000 euro and buyed me a Honda of 2800 euro. ( So my scooter costed me 3800 euro )

My principe brought me in life were I am today, 47 years old,  and only once didn't follow it and it costed me money and I feel sorry for that time.

And it's not because you don't need the functions now, that you don't use them in a few years.

So thanks for your advice, but I only want to know what people think of the machine, and if there is a better alternative in the same price-range.

11 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

So in addition to the question that just now got asked before me I would be curious about the price and the price of the other two items I added to list below. Then I have a link to the manufacturers website.

So I see it has in our oscilloscope feature that's nice. hen it might just be my reading skills but on the spec sheet and the users manual nowhere to my finding technical specifications other than just it will do these things. So if you look at the witschi technical specifications they give you in detail all the ranges and all the specifications and that seems to be lacking on this machine.

Thank you for thinking with me...

The Witschi Watch expert is 2850 euro + VAT ( don't pay the VAT! ) ( So 1000 euro more than the Chrono Touch )

The Chronomaster is about 2050 euro + VAT but you need a computer also.

Thanks for thinking with me.

Edited by Koen

Thanks Koen for sharing your philosophy. It's interesting, because I have also bought once a piece of s*** Chinese scooter, but I didn't even tried to resell it, I just gifted to a friend which was able to use it sometimes. I'm not the kind of person that sits aching about money lost.

Now for the specific of the professional machine that you linked I think it's good that someone makes a less expensive alternative to Witschi, which prices are robbery. Unfortunately seems like they haven't got much success so far, because I don't know of anyone using it, and I suppose that our resident expert John doesn't either.

In the end anyone is free to spend his money as he wants, and to think as he wants. And in this case my thinking stays the same: a beginner amateur that has never worked on watches before has no rational justification for buying an €2,000 tool when a €200 one does the same job, as you can read in the 5 preceeding pages of this thread. The same money can be better spent on other things. 

Note that I have used the word 'rational', watchmaking is 100% about that.  

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

I have a Witschi Chronoscope S1 (1st gen, no touch screen), with automatic mic I bought new about 12 years ago. Before that I used a B200 with Gradoscope for amplitude for years. I needed to print out the tidy little sheets with timing in 6 positions for a big client so there went 7000 of the best bucks I ever spent on tools (and I have literally tons).

Would have about 10,000 cycles on it at an average of 3 per day which is pretty conservative, quite likely more like 20k. It's industrial gear for people who make money with it. They rarely come up secondhand because they rarely break and folks just use them and use them. I'd hate to have to go back to something less.

But obviously it's way overkill for someone who works on watches for fun. Unless they have the cash and enjoy top level gear (I know a couple of collectors who have Witchis). The new Chinese stuff is great, and it's about time. Before it was available a serious collector or watchmaking enthusiast had to mess with computer programs and all the hassles of interfacing the watch to that, or dig up an old paper tape machine which still command more than a weishi if functional.

• Like 2

On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 1:26 PM, nickelsilver said:

I have a Witschi Chronoscope S1 (1st gen, no touch screen), with automatic mic I bought new about 12 years ago. Before that I used a B200 with Gradoscope for amplitude for years. I needed to print out the tidy little sheets with timing in 6 positions for a big client so there went 7000 of the best bucks I ever spent on tools (and I have literally tons).

Would have about 10,000 cycles on it at an average of 3 per day which is pretty conservative, quite likely more like 20k. It's industrial gear for people who make money with it. They rarely come up secondhand because they rarely break and folks just use them and use them. I'd hate to have to go back to something less.

But obviously it's way overkill for someone who works on watches for fun. Unless they have the cash and enjoy top level gear (I know a couple of collectors who have Witchis). The new Chinese stuff is great, and it's about time. Before it was available a serious collector or watchmaking enthusiast had to mess with computer programs and all the hassles of interfacing the watch to that, or dig up an old paper tape machine which still command more than a weishi if functional.

I am only a collector too but I will buy the best I can get if affordable....for most of my tools I switched from Chinese to Swiss tools pretty quickly

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon all, I am in the market for a timegrapher, would you please explain to me the difference in the weishi 1000 and the 1900. Moreover, does the 1900 justify the extra cost. I am relatively new to the watch repair world, about 9 months or so, but I am accruing quite a number of watches, all of which I have brought back to life, and my biggest sticking point is accuracy. Other than adjusting then checking the next day, I tried a phone app that gave a different result each time the same unadjusted watch was placed upon it? I would be very grateful for your help with this. My best wishes to you all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkL said:

Good afternoon all, I am in the market for a timegrapher, would you please explain to me the difference in the weishi 1000 and the 1900.

Have you read our comprehensive pinned topic? There are few postings that explain in details what the differences are. 

Edited by jdm

• 2 months later...

Can someone show the settings and readings for the 1000 and 1900 measuring a coaxial escapement?

I would be interested as I am considering purchasing one of these. If the 1000/1900 does not give enough detail to regulate a coaxial I will get one that can as I have a number of Omegas in need of servicing.

All information is gratefully received.

1 hour ago, Colditz said:

I would be interested as I am considering purchasing one of these. If the 1000/1900 does not give enough detail to regulate a coaxial I will get one that can as I have a number of Omegas in need of servicing.

See the answer above, neither one  two can read a coaxial escapement, and nothing can be done so they do. Of course, even in current production, not all Omega have that.

On 5/1/2016 at 7:07 PM, clockboy said:

I have the 1900 & have had no issues what so ever. If there is a fault they come with to say the least little instructions 

I too have the 1900, and agree the instructions are sparse to say the least!

1 hour ago, Johnnie said:

I too have the 1900, and agree the instructions are sparse to say the least!

I don't agree with that. The (attached) user manual details all the setting and parameters, and there is one page summarizing technical data.
Maybe you're referring to the interpretation of the data, which is not there and I see god reasons for being so, but you can search the forum for the many discussions and downloads on the subject.

Now regarding the support for coaxial reading there is a post by an inactive member claiming that it is supported in models with the latest firmware, he even linked an YT video but isn't accessible. Nothing from the Internet really proves that amplitude can be correctly displayed, anyway if I'm wrong my apologies.

8445_W47107.pdf

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1