I'm happy to finally start posting on this terrific watch repair community forum. I've been a member for almost a year, but have been mostly searching the forum for asked and answered questions that might help me with my novice watch repair techniques. I'm a vintage watch enthusiast with a special love of Timex watches from the 1950s  through the 1970s. I developed an interest in watches about 4 years ago when I rediscovered two mechanical watches (a vintage Longines and a Seiko 5) that my father had left in a desk drawer years ago before he passed. Amazingly, both ran in spite of never having been serviced! I was hooked and began my own mechanical watch journey. I'm looking forward to learning more from this wonderful community.

welcome, like you it was family owned watches they sparked my interest in this hobby.  What got me hooked into Timex was a 1964 Marlin I got to run and sold for $40 that cost me about 25 cents to buy. :)    

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By alanbid
      Hi,
      New to this, but have always enjoyed watches, but now getting more involved with easy repairs..
      Thanks for having me,
      Alan
    • By 2lostsouls
      Good afternoon everyone. I have finally taken apart my wife's grandfathers Timex watch, which has a 24 movement. I have several questions:
      1. The stem is really sloppy, what can cause that?
      2. What is the best way to clean this movement. I do not have a machine so it will be done manually.
      3. Where can I get a crystal? Is there a place to buy them if I measure it? 
      Thank you for all of your help. 
    • By JCStuyck
      Hello everyone,
      I am french, 64 years old , retired and  leave in Indonesia .
      I always had a passion for watches and start collecting them 40 years ago. 
      I must say that After a very active life I am getting bored and decided to spend time with my passion.
      I am sure I will be communicating with many of you in a near futur.
      Good day to all of you.
      J-C
    • By bangy55
      Greetings, fellow horology lovers! My name is Chris. I live in central Florida in the US. I only finished Mark's online course about a month ago and find myself obsessed with watches. It seems to creep up on you unawares. This is my first post though I've been a patron for a couple weeks or so. I've been busy online watching Mark's videos and buying every watchmaker's tool that comes to mind. My wife's gonna kill me when she see's our next credit card invoice. I'm a 63-year-old roofer who has always suffered from shaky hands. What better hobby could I have gotten into? Aside from surfing when I was in my 20s, this is my first hobby ever. I recently won a bid on eBay of some poor soul's tools left behind and I have three that I have no real idea what they are. I thought it might be fun to upload a photo and see if you guys could help a noob out. If anyone wants to see more or closer shots, just let me know. Thanks

• By happydude
      Hi everyone. I'm brand new to watch repair, but I'm starting to really get into it as a hobby. I'm a 30something American living in Taiwan. Right now I'm really interested in old Walthams from the 1920s and 1930s, and old Hamiltons from the 40s and 50s. I have a few real-life friends who do repairs for one of the big Swiss companies, so they're mostly to blame for me getting into this. I normally don't join forums, but talking to experienced people seems like the best way for me to solve some essential challenges, and hopefully to learn.