Watch wonder won’t turn gears only hands

You'll need to remove the hands and dial to get to the keyless works. Once you do that, you will be able to secure the set lever and bolt. For future reference, no more than 2.5 turns are needed to release.

J

• Like 1

Many years ago a friend told me that "magic number" for backing out the detent screw. I am amazed at just how this almost always works out. 1 1/2 complete turns usually does the trick. If not, it generally  just needs another quarter turn or so.

This all sounds very familiar. I was sorting a Titoni on Sunday, and did exactly the same thing. The stem was caught up, but I assumed I hadn't turned the screw far enough. Schoolboy error, when will I learn? In my defense, judging by the apprentice marks around the screw, I'm not the first person to torture this particular watch. :(

RIMG0254.thumb.JPG.b4c43ba2e22179c6cb652618eb41aa92.JPG

Even more annoyingly I had just finished cleaning tidying and re-assembling it and was in the process of putting it back in the case.

Nothing for it. Back off with the hands, back off with the dial (held on with dial dots, as someone has broken the feet off it at some stage, and I suspect, re-painted it too). Back in the movement holder, much fiddling and jiggling, trying not to drop it on the floor as I needed to hold the keyless work and manipulate the screw (on the other side of the watch, obviously) at the same time. Fresh dial dots, as the old ones wouldn't hold anymore. I then discovered I had the dial now fitted with crown at 9 instead of 3 (don't ask). Off with dial, corrected. Back on with dial, more fresh dial dots and a small piece of double sided tape to get it squared up.
Back in case and off it went.

RIMG0257.thumb.JPG.375487e5f3a29d42d81f51124a751327.JPG

It still has a little more cosmetic work to do, but its almost ready to wear.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 12:41 AM, Watchtime said:

happens to most of us.....keyless needs reset....

On 5/28/2019 at 8:33 PM, noirrac1j said:

You'll need to remove the hands and dial to get to the keyless works. Once you do that, you will be able to secure the set lever and bolt. For future reference, no more than 2.5 turns are needed to release.

J

hello I took off the hands and dial and reset the lever but for some reason I think i dont havbe it right. It still wont wind or at least it doesnt make the crunchy wind it should. what is the set lever and bolt. 

Depending on how much you had to disassemble the keyless work to re-set the detent/set-lever, perhaps the clutch-lever is out of the recess in the clutch wheel? Some of these are tricky to keep together while you reattach the set-bridge, as the clutch sometimes go askew. Sometimes I insert the stem to keep things lined up. Good luck.