1982 Timex Quartz - second chance

JerseyMo

and here is the after - NOS case, crown\stem and movement.  Crystal buffed out, dial has signs of the damage that occurred but she is running again.  Now this is not a sort after vintage Timex but since I had the parts a figured what the heck.  The kicker even though I did give the movement a quick test before installing it did fail latter on.  I tried several times to clear it out with cleaner spay and followed with lube. But it just would not go.  Than yesterday I popped the battery back in and off she went running right on time.  Could have been some of the cleaner did not flush out and was shorting somewhere.    Well she is running now!

DSC01126.JPG

DSC01127.JPG

DSC01128.JPG

• Like 3

the negative lead is connected to contact wire.  so if the lead is gone or damage, you will have to replace the part. Of course if it is damaged the coil on the balance may also be shorted.  So the repairs gets more involved.  You have to be careful with those movements because even though the parts look very much alike and even fit they are quite different.  For example an "Electronic" balance assembly has an integrated diode.