Watch stops after ~7 hours. SS at 13 seconds always.

Sorry if someone read this in the Perregaux thread, but it seems that somebody must have an idea about it. If not, it's the last I'll ask regarding same. As the title states, the watch, an automatic GP 47BF/ETA 1256 stops after running for 7 hours. The fact that the seconds hand is always at 13 seconds must mean something to someone, no? It certainly isn't a coincidence. Twilight Zone or something else? Anybody have any ideas as to what it should be? Thanks ahead of time.

• Like 1

That is usually the second hand touching the crystal at that point,creating a little drag. It could also be touching the minute hand, but that would usually cause it to stop at whatever point they coincide. Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, Gpsluvr. I'll check it, but the crystal is pretty high-domed, so I doubt it's hitting it (On a better look, it is possible.) And why wouldn't it hit it every time it goes around instead of every 420 revolutions? I'll remove it from the case and see if it will run longer, and not stop at that point. Thanks again. Cheers.

Edited by MrRoundel

Excellent. I was thinking the same thing, but was thinking it would be rubbing inside one of the other hands. In the other thread I mentioned that I did not replace the mainspring. It does happen at what seems like it could be the end of a wind. Since I was wearing it last time it stopped, it may also tell me the automatic mechanism isn't working properly. I guess I'm just getting my crown-winds from it. The weight does move around, but not as freely as it should I suspect. Many thanks.

If you will, Give it a full manual wind, if need be through ratchet wheel.

Set on bench ( in static position) record how long it ran.

Wear the watch for a normal day, record how long it rans. 

Remove seconds hand, repeat do all the above.

Reverserse in the selfwinder module are normally the cause of poor selfwind.

Clean reversers with all cleaning instruments you have, oil with fixodrop as recommended by @Clockboy. Clean lube barrel and service the movement.

Seconds hand stopping at second13 following towards the end of wind is unlikely to be a cause, neverheless remove hands one at a time and observe if there is a difference in the above data.

Report all for a meaningful diagnostic.

Regqrds joe

Thanks, Nucejoe. What you say makes perfect sense. I gave it a pretty good (Not sure if it was full.) wind last night with the movement out of the case. So far it has run overnight, and nearing the 12 hour mark. It appears as if the issue was the second hand rubbing under the crystal.

I did not clean the reverser wheels when I serviced the watch. Being that DeCarle said not to take them down completely, and the fact that I don't have any epilame type lubricant (Other than a naptha/watch oil mix.), I thought it best not to. If I had the epilame or fixodrip to lube them with, I would have cleaned it. I'll look into getting some now. I do remember it being quite expensive for the average hobbyist. Many thanks.

After getting the hands set as low as they can possibly go, the watch has made it around 12 hours keeping good time, so they must clear. Not a lot of room for error on this one. And I really like the design of the hands, and didn't want to have to change them.

Oh, and I'm going to have to wait a bit on servicing the auto-wind mechanism. I really need to get new cleaning solutions and the Fixodrip. Thanks for the help, guys. Cheers.