UTS Quartz movement

Davey57

Sorry, look away now OldHippy. I know you dislike them:lol:

A friend has asked if I can do anything with his wife’s kitchen clock that she loves dearly as it belonged to someone close. He says it was losing time although, it has been running perfectly with me for almost two weeks. Rather than give it back to find the problem returns I have been looking for a new movement. I have found one that is exactly the same here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Replacement-UTS-01248-Quartz-German-Euroshaft-Movement-Mechanism-13mm-Shaft-/183725493748?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=691309729771

Cousins have a one that I reckon should do, I just wanted to check. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/hi-torque-uts

The only difference I notice is the distance from the front of movement to centre of shaft tip. Mine is 13mm same as the more expensive one, Cousins is 11mm.  Which should I go for please.

You could get one of each size from Cousins and by trial and error fit the one best suited. Also a suitable set of hands ordered at the same time would leave a spare complete movement and a repaired clock for less than the ebay item. 

If the shaft is too long. You can always pack it with these sorts of washers. The large black type in this photo. Its always better to be a bit long than short. Just make sure you have good clearance of the face and the glass.

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure if this will inspire you further, but here are a couple of clocks I made from scrap.

RIMG0262.thumb.JPG.4ea2c05b4a0ca13ccaf367155d116cc6.JPG

The cloth balloon I made while I was fixing up our sewing machine, and the simple dinner plate one was as much an experiment in drilling holes in ceramic as anything else.

RIMG0263.thumb.JPG.4cb06d8bf76fc54634022b494dd13add.JPGRIMG0263.thumb.JPG.4cb06d8bf76fc54634022b494dd13add.JPG

The Chinese movements they use are cheap as chips on ebay.

There are a couple of others around the house, but these are probably the most off the wall designs I've done so far.

Cheers, I’ll have a look.  I’ve already bought a couple from Cousins plus a few sets of hands. When I have time I’m looking forward to making them into something. One thing though, the hands are a loose fit on the shaft of the movement. Is it normal to have to pinch them a little so that they hold?

• 1 month later...

I have a 20 year old clock with the same movement. I think it has a similar problem to the original poster. It keeps time, but occasionally falls well behind (in a dramatic way -- I think that it may stop for some minutes and then restart). Seems to happen more with semi-depleted battery, but not always.

I too only see the same replacement part listed on ebay -- assume this must be discontinued.

Have you found a correct alternative?  If so, can you let us know which model number movement is known to work?

• 1 year later...

Hello Chippy and welcome to the forum.  There are m any suppliers of quartz clock movements, Cousins UK      H.S.Walsh both  material houses    or newgeneration clocks. on the links below.

https://ngclocks.co.uk/      https://www.cousinsuk.com/department/watch-parts       https://www.hswalsh.com/categories/watch-parts-straps-batteries