Vostok 2409 strange sound

Hello everyone. This is my first proper post here I hope someone can help me to identify this "issue".

I have a Vostok watch from the 80's with the 2409 movement. It keeps good time (within 3 seconds a day). Beat error is 0.1 ms and the amplitude fluctuates between 240° and 265° depending on the position.

The issue with the watch is that I hear a strange sound that only goes away when losening the balance cock screw. As soon as the screw starts putting the minimum amount of pressure to the balance cock the strange sound begins.

Currently I don't have the proper tools to handle the movement aside from proper watchmaker's screwdrivers so I cannot take out the balance cock assembly to check if something seems off.

I have attached two audio files, the first one with the balance cock screw properly tightened. The second one with the balance cock screw lose. Excuse the poor quality audio but is the best I could do with what I have available.

Hopefuly someone can help me identify this issue.

2409 sample 1.wav 2409 sample 2.wav

Having had a listen it's hard to say what the noise could be, it could simply be a little more amplified through the movement, it could be old lubrication starting to dry a little and a service, clean and fresh oil could resolve it, but i'd suggest it's nothing to worry over if you're getting accuracy to within 3 seconds a day currently.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 4:12 AM, m1ks said:

Having had a listen it's hard to say what the noise could be, it could simply be a little more amplified through the movement, it could be old lubrication starting to dry a little and a service, clean and fresh oil could resolve it, but i'd suggest it's nothing to worry over if you're getting accuracy to within 3 seconds a day currently.

Thank you for your reply m1ks. Taking the good performance of the watch aside I'm curious about the origin of the sound. My only concern about it is that whatever is causing the sound may be causing premature wear on some components.

About a month ago I needed to buy a new strap so I went to my watchmaker to had it changed. It never crossed my mind to ask him about the sound at that time but I told him to take a peek at the movement to see if everything was alright. He said everything was clean and properly lubricated. He only pointed out that the balance had a bare minimum amount of play/wobble but that it shouldn't affect the performance of the watch. Taking into consideration that the sound only happens when the balance cock screw is properly tightened and goes away when the screw is lose maybe the issue is related to that behaviour of the balance.

I also though about what you said about the sound being amplified through the movement and case. Considering the movement is held by two screws to the metal spacer ring but not to the case itself. Maybe when I get the proper tools I'll investigate more deeply into this subject. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Seishin
Adding more information

Russian watches sometimes have a shim to set the balance-staff clearance. If it was missing you may have too little end shake but I would imagine that that would result in the watch stopping, not making noises.

This post below has a picture of a shim but on a different movement. Something to think about.

Good luck

Anilv

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, anilv said:

Russian watches sometimes have a shim to set the balance-staff clearance. If it was missing you may have too little end shake but I would imagine that that would result in the watch stopping, not making noises.

This post below has a picture of a shim but on a different movement. Something to think about.

Good luck

Anilv

Hello Anilv.

What you say makes a lot of sense to me. If my particular watch had a shim maybe it wasn't replaced when it was last serviced. But as you say, if the balace pivots have less end shake due to the missing shim the balance should stop or at least have difficulty rotating back and forth, not making noises. Strange indeed. I wish I had another 2409 movement or similar ones to make a comparison of the sound. I might even start to believe that this is how russian watches sound.

Thank you for taking your time to reply. Have a nice day.

• Like 1