question about ladies movements

Hello all,

Please indulge me.We have all opened up "quartz fashion watches"  to see a fairly large case with a very small movement and a huge plastic spacer. These movements are very close in size and shape to  ladies jeweled mechanical movements..has anyone done this swap ? If not does anyone reckon that one of these movements would have the torque to turn hands large enough to fit on say a 30 mm dial?I know that in most cases you would loose the second hand. But it would be a way to repurpose movements that have fallen into disuse and a way to perhaps create something unique.

It is on my list of things to try. I to have quite a collection homeless of small quartz movements.

The issues would be getting hands that fit, and positioning the crown at the correct height, always assuming of course that you are going to glue the movement to the dial, since the dial pegs on a quartz movement are very unlikely to line up with the dial feet on the old dial.

It all seems relatively straightforward, but I haven't tried it yet.  

I don't think it would be a problem, at least not one that I've encountered. Most of these cheap Chinese pocket watches have tiny movements.

I tend to use Miyota since they are only a couple of pounds and I can be sure of finding hands to fit. 

I'm not sure about Andy's idea of gluing the dial. OK you can adjust the thickness of glue to bring your crown in line, but in my experience the problem is gauging the void between the hour wheel and dial. Too big a gap and the hour wheel disengages if you tip it upside down.

This is a novelty pocket watch bought for my birthday.

weipeng rev.jpg

I hope you didn't think we were talking about this kind of movements.

s-l1600.jpg

... before you ask.. no I didn't buy this watch... tempted perhaps... but no. I do have standards.. low ones arguably, but standards none the less.

Edited by AndyHull

18 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I hope you didn't think we were talking about this kind of movements.

s-l1600.jpg

... before you ask.. no I didn't buy this watch... tempted perhaps... but no. I do have standards.. low ones arguably, but standards none the less.

Thats one my son would find hilarious, BRB, got to ebay. :D

• Like 1