Ascanio

Refitting crystal on Omega 166.041

Question

Hi

I am trying to place a new crystal on an Omega 166.041 case. Original crystal is no more available.

Measurement internal is 31.45 mm

I sourced on Cousins a not original replacement crystal for the movement, the site recommended part code G22740 which is reported 31.60 mm diameter and 4.10 mm height

My surprise is that if I measure the crystal is in fact 31.60 mm but if I measure it at the very base where is the tension ring it is just 31.35 mm

So, once I place the crystal on the case, it drops in and there is nothing to push in place!

What am I doing wrong? Or just the crystal is not doing it's job? Is any seal needed? Shall I have to purchase an original PX5005 or maybe I can have more luck with a lower profile 3.85 mm part code G22742 ?

Help me please! It's my very first crystal refitting so no experience... 

Bonus question: Will I have any chance pressing the crystal by hand or should I really invest in a crystal press?

Thank you!!

3 answers to this question

Are you getting your measurements from the case or old crystal? If the crystal is dropping to the bottom of the recess in the bezel, it's obviously too small. Not much I can figure to do to stretch it. In the GS crystals, I see that there is one shown for an Omega waterproof that is 31.70mm.  It is a PA468, which is for a case that uses a reflector ring, not a tension ring. Fitting crystals to vintage pieces isn't easy sometimes. Good luck.

Thanks for the answer. I am measuring 31.45 mm in the case recess.

What i think is not normal is the crystal i purchased to being smaller in bottom ring (31.35 mm) compared its overall and avvertised diameter of 31.60 mm, but since it comes with a perfectly fitting tension ring at 31.35, i wonder...

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

GS fitting instructions say not to exceed one-half GS size, which is two steps in their catalog. My list shows that if the bezel measures 31.4mm, you can go up to 31.7mm. Yours measures a GS size of 31.4~, which is GS #29 1/2. Skipping 29 3/4, you get to 30, which measures 31.7mm. Sounds like good bet to me. Others may know differently, but it looks good to me. Good luck.