Introduction

Marc

Hi,

having lurked for a couple of weeks I thought it was about time I introduced myself and joined in.

My name is Marc and I am a UK based watch tinkerer.

I've always had a fascination for precision mechanics and a certain nostalgia for stuff that, although it has been superseded by advances in technology,  still performs its intended task as well as the day that it was made. It was therefore inevitable that I would be unable to avoid the terrible affliction that brings me here :-)

My watch making/breaking activities began about 10 years ago with the wanton destruction of a couple of old Sekonda and Timex victims picked up at car boot sales as "non-runners". Half an hour or so on my bench soon confirmed the original diagnosis and re-labeled them "will never run again-ers".

However I was hooked and as a result I have spent many a happy hour (and wage packet) on "spares or repair" bargains on eBay and have now reached the point where I am able to return 95% of my "non-runner" bargains to active service, with my hobby achieving self funding status about 5 years ago as I usually sell on my projects after a few months of wrist time, my interest being more in the repairing than the collecting.

That being said I do seem to have accumulated a number of "keepers" by way of a small and somewhat eclectic collection. Mainly wrist watches from anywhere between about 1920 to 1980 as well as a couple of pocket watches. Budget constraints have always kept me out of the Omega/Rolex club and instead I tend to go for names that vanished in the quartz onslaught of the 80's but which never-the-less were well made watches using top notch movements. Just about my only selection criteria being "would I wear It?" and "can I pick it up for peanuts?".

I stumbled upon Marks videos during an evening of youtube roulette and was delighted to be able to see how he works and to learn a few new tricks. I am looking forward to being able to share some of my own projects and exchange ideas within this group.

Marc.

• Like 1