jdrichard

Help with Lower Jewel fitting

I am working on a Illinois 12S Aristocrat pocket watch and the previous maintainer simply dropped a jewel in the pocket for the lower balance jewel; resting on the jewel end cap. I think the plate requires a friction fit jewel setting with the cap jewel, so I found a setting that sort of fits with a jewel that is the right hole size. So should I just go ahead and press in this setting? Anyone experience this situation before. I did not think that there were pressed in lower Balance jewel settings. My watch is the third model.42a7dd060f322825cf6b91a6eabaf79a.jpg1f951b80270f81354efc0fb96c6c5a40.jpg76fb62ec64573dee995f53fe2e8741d5.jpge6926e4dbbe89fa3d5a7b63ee85463cd.jpgNot presses in yet.3ea2007563cc7a4016aa69c983c1e9c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the lower  jewel in some vintages elgin pocket watch balance staffs  have caused a problem for me.   one experence;   bought a watch that appeared to have a broken balance staff,  on dissassembly,  the staff was in tact with the lower jewel pushed out.   this could have hapened when the former owner pushed the jewel down when fitting the balance cock.?  vin

the lower  jewel in some vintages elgin pocket watch balance staffs  have caused a problem for me.   one experence;   bought a watch that appeared to have a broken balance staff,  on dissassembly,  the staff was in tact with the lower jewel pushed out.   this could have hapened when the former owner pushed the jewel down when fitting the balance cock.?  vin

Was it friction fit in place? This one appears to be a friction fit, even from the data I included.

7 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Was it friction fit in place? This one appears to be a friction fit, even from the data I included.

that became a parts watch,  i did not try to adjust the jewel.  i have another mvt.. ill look into it.

Anytime were working with American pocket watches it's nice to have the serial number especially when looking for parts. Then because this is not your normal 12 size it's extra thin looks like you're right it's a friction jewel setting.  So image extracted from a listing so we get the diameter and the thickness. Then the other minor problem with Illinois all the different part numbers to make for a confusing mess.

12s ill fri.JPG

Anytime were working with American pocket watches it's nice to have the serial number especially when looking for parts. Then because this is not your normal 12 size it's extra thin looks like you're right it's a friction jewel setting.  So image extracted from a listing so we get the diameter and the thickness. Then the other minor problem with Illinois all the different part numbers to make for a confusing mess.
1758147787_12sillfri.thumb.JPG.b8ba1f7221d5678a9ef76feee4071563.JPG

Thanks for the data. Friction fit is odd.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk