Rexxus

Watch cleaning machine question

Hello,

im new to the forum and am considering getting into amateur tinkering. I local resident is selling watch cleaning machines for $100, I could probably get it for less as long as it works. It doesn’t appear to come with the baskets though. My question is are the baskets a universal size? I’ve posted a pic of the machines below 

C2E0B11B-DDB5-49B1-A873-0F167F385F56.jpeg

No baskets are not a universal size and vary from maker to maker as do glass jars, I would walk away from those if they do not come with baskets or jars you could probably get a full set up of ebay at only slightly more than that purchasing every thing seperatley can soon add up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-L-R-MASTER-WATCH-JEWELRY-PRECISION-CLEANING-MACHINE-JARS-BASKETS/273729671733?hash=item3fbb8f5235:g:ORoAAOSwJItcdFAu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-L-amp-R-Master-Watch-Cleaning-Machine-/123667948632?hash=item1ccb2f2458%3Ag%3ASpMAAOSwdC5cdxac&nma=true&si=S8xUIy7ISRYEcR4YgSuN4Ith6kA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

23 hours ago, Rexxus said:

im new to the forum and am considering getting into amateur tinkering. I local resident is selling watch cleaning machines for $100, I could probably get it for less as long as it works.

May I ask, how do you currently clean watch parts? Which advantages do you expect from an old machine, beside the fun spent on many days of refurbishing and parts searching?

agree with wls, its a walk away without baskets.  The baskets for those have little hooks that hang on the three pins on the agitator, if you had to make them it would be a pita.  As for jars, I think the the large straight neck paragon jars fit, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one .....you have to buy a case and shipping is more than the jars cost so haven't bothered (I only want them because they have screw on lids!).  If anyone has tried them...I'd be interested if they in fact work

Edited by measuretwice

May I ask, how do you currently clean watch parts? Which advantages do you expect from an old machine, beside the fun spent on many days of refurbishing and parts searching?

I want to be able to clean the parts correctly. I’ve researched cleaning by hand and it’s 100x more time consuming and probably ends up leaving the watch worse for ware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 90 year old watch maker gave me a watch cleaning machine for free!!!! It came with the glasses and lids but not the baskets. I’ll post a pic of the machine in a few weeks, hopefully someone can tell me what kind of baskets I’d need :)

6 minutes ago, Rexxus said:

I want to be able to clean the parts correctly. I’ve researched cleaning by hand and it’s 100x more time consuming and probably ends up leaving the watch worse for ware

It is not so. The machine was invented simply to allow the repairer to do something else while another place was being cleaned. There is nothing done by an old machine can you can't do by hand, including heating and shaking. It is certainly not required for a beginner hobbyst. 

Progress was instead reached with the introduction of ultrasound cleaning, which in fact is the only type of machine produced nowadays. 

Alrighty! I’ve posted some pics of the watch cleaning machine I have. I’m looking to confirm the basket size I’ll need. Let me know if you need any other pics and thanks again x 1M!!!!

68ba3579069a968511679ae033c9ac82.jpg

c8b06f1f1bb592b1d6a49b8324c59d13.jpg82b3185d3b85cbbcb68396ef4a6f9602.jpg