Scrollsaw Cuckoo Clock

GregC

6 hours ago, JimmyD said:

It depends on the type of movement you are putting in the clock, battery or brass?

The first will be battery as 10 yrs ago when I was all gung ho for scrolling I bought everything for 3 clocks. Now that I'm closer to completion I'm thinking I could make the cavity deeper to fit a real cuckoo mvmt. I just need to know if they are a standard height 

Regula make a 1 day and 8 day movement, these can be bought at time savers. A few things you need to know, the depth, the movement will need to be screwed to the inside of the face board, so about 6 mm think blocks need to be glued on to take the screws, then add the distance from the mounting bracket to the tip of the crutch, then add another 50mm so you have enough room for the cuckoo belows. The hight is dictated by where  the hands arbour hole is placed on the face. The width you have already since you have made the frets. Have a look on eBay at cuckoo clocks for sale to see how they are normally set up on the inside to give you an idea.

18 hours ago, JimmyD said:

It depends on the type of movement you are putting in the clock, battery or brass?

First one is going to be quartz. I just measured the darn thing and forgot the dimensions. I think its 4" wide by 6" high. Original plan has it 2" deep but I can alter it to make it deeper.

36 minutes ago, JimmyD said:

I think the 1st photo looks better with more of a contras, just remember to put the dial with the 12 at the top.

I thought so too but I just realized how the color is like that. I didnt read the directions for the stain and didnt wipe the excess off thats why its so dark. I hope these old messed up brains can remember to put XII at the top, lol  ;-)

Now that this project has been completed, I hope that some of you might be inspired to pick up a scroll saw and try out this craft. Its not hard, just tedious and repetitive but you can make some beautiful pieces of art and there are all kinds of patterns out there for everything one could imagine. This clock is not difficult at all, there are clocks that take guys months or even years to make. Cherry tree toys has the most awesome patterns I've come across and Berry basket has some simple yet beautiful stuff, in fact this clock is from a pattern by Cherry tree toys.

https://cherrytreetoys.com/scroll-saw-patterns/

https://www.berrybasket.com/