3D Printed Mainspring winder, does it work?

Hmmm, kind of!

But........ It shows great potential as a hobbyist alternative, with some tweaking.

After a back and forth with @Andyhull on another thread it got me to thinking perhaps it's not as useless as my initial annoyance led me to think, (I broke a mainspring trying it but to be fair the spring had been previously abused and the tool wasn't ideally sized allowing the coils to jump and tangle).

I had a bit of a resize with sanding stick and scalpel and tried again and it's certainly got promise, I need to tweak the file to suit specific barrels but it's a simple quick 3 part print using barely any filament.

Obviously not anywhere near as good as the proper bergeon winder but definitely cheaper for the hobbyist, (even if you haven't already got a printer and had to buy one first).

Here's a video of it if anyone is interested, comments and ideas are welcome.

• Like 2

Looks promising but my worry would be there durability. Having said that the cost of these would make them attractive for hobbyists. More R&D required. 

11 hours ago, clockboy said:

Looks promising but my worry would be there durability. Having said that the cost of these would make them attractive for hobbyists. More R&D required. 

Durability would certainly not be on a par with anything professional, nor useful for a heavy use environment or where reliability, repeatability and consistency was required, BUT, given the printing time, paltry amount of filament it requires and space they take up you could have three of each size you use sitting in a drawer.
It's not quite good enough yet but i'll be fettling and trying to get it better.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PaulnKC
      Greetings All,
      Hope that all are doing well - in this crazy COVID world.
      I recently acquired a 1958 Rolex Ref. 6569 with a Cal. 1030 movement. All-in-all very nice and clean for her age - and runs very well.
      The winding pinion and clutch wheel had worn each other out - so I found NOS Rolex parts and replaced those. I though the watch deserved the new parts.
      It appeared to have been serviced in the last 10 years - because everything looked clean and the oil looked good (and present).
      Since the watch seemed to be running well and in good health (other than the winding pinion and clutch wheel) - I didn't do a complete service. I didn't think it was worth the risk.
      However, it seems to me that the watch is harder to wind than I would expect.
      I did do a full service on a 1215 that I bought for my wife (ref. 6694). It needed everything - but an awesome running movement when I was finished.
      The 1215 is of course a manual wind - but similar to the 1030. The 1215 winds lightly and smoothly as one would expect.
      The 1030 is "stiff". I haven't taken the barrel apart - but have just ordered some new mainsprings.
      Is there anything tricky about replacing the auto mainspring in a 1030? Or is more or less like any modern auto?
      Clean the barrel; apply braking grease to wall; fit spring; fit arbor - oil lightly at spring-arbor interface; replace lid?

Also - I was only able to find a parts-list for this movement. Anyone know where a tech/service sheet (or similar) may be found?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
      -Paul
    • By Zero
      I'm interested to learn the definition of a pocket and a wristwatch mainspring, in terms of dimensions.
      1) What is the general height range for a wrist watch mainspring? Eg. 1mm to 2mm
      2) What is the general diameter range for a wrist watch mainspring? Eg. 7mm to 12mm
      3) What is the general height range for a pocket watch mainspring?
      4) What is the general diameter range for a pocket watch mainspring?
      5) Is the mainspring eye/hole size generally half the height of the mainspring?
      Reason: I'm looking to classify them correctly for improving the rs winder project releases.
      Will appreciate any help.
    • By Max50916
      Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I'm currently working on an AS 1187 1194 movement which has a broken mainspring. I have a bunch of NOS mainsprings and would prefer to use one of possible. After looking into it, it seems the proper mainspring size for this movement is Denn. 6 x 11 -- 11.5
      I've got ones close to that but not exactly that. So my question is, is it possible to use a mainspring with a slightly different width, strength, or length?
      Is there more wiggle room in regards to any measurements in particular? (by that I mean, maybe there is no wiggle room in width but some wiggle room in strength etc) 
      I've attached some photos with ones that seem to be relatively close, and am wondering your thoughts on using any of them? This is for a personal project so I'm looking to spend as little money as possible, otherwise I would buy a new mainsprings from Jules Borel.
      Thank you for any help you can give!

• By richiesgr
      Hi
      I'm trying to figure out how to reassemble this mainspring the mouvement is Felsa 4017N . I join photo
      As you can see the arbor seems to be sealed on the wheel I tried to free him but there are some dents that prevent this. It seems to be one piece. 
      I've replaced replace the spring into the barrel but can't place the arbor in place ???⁉️
      Thanks for your suggestions

• By Extractor
      After having experimented with some very cheap watches I thought it was time to attempt something a little nicer. Bought this silver pocket watch and took it apart. Noticed quite a few of the jewels were shattered so is likely to be beyond my skill set at the moment to restore anyway. Despite that, I decided, probably unwisely, to examine the mainspring and measure it up for a replacement so rendering it useless in the process.
      The measurement I have taken are: 
      Height: 2.6mm Thickness 0.2mm Length: 520mm ID of barrel: 16.5mm Type TR Then I find out there is no replacement to be found in the TR book which I accessed through the Cousins website. Am I not looking properly or have I made a big mistake in assuming a replacement could be found?
      Many thanks.