Jump to content
  • 0
bodymassagewatch

Timex M25 caliber handwound movement won't wind

Question

The watch I've got has an M25 movement (from what i could see in the model #) and the issue is that, in the winding position, the crown will now wind. It will spin in reverse, and i can pull it out to the time setting position and it sets the time no problem. So something is "stuck" inside. Any ideas as to what it could be?

15582109824151173945785242358289.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
4 hours ago, bodymassagewatch said:

The watch I've got has an M25 movement (from what i could see in the model #) and the issue is that, in the winding position, the crown will now wind. It will spin in reverse, and i can pull it out to the time setting position and it sets the time no problem. So something is "stuck" inside. Any ideas as to what it could be?

15582109824151173945785242358289.jpg

I suspect it is fully wound, and simply doesn't run. Probably in need of a clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Yes fully wound but won't run  due to dirt or lack of lubrication, run it immersed in naphtha. Dial and hands removed. That ought to clean out the dirt and old sludge.Then run it again if the fluid is dirty. let dry ,lubricate sparingly pay attention to the hairspring when doing so the watch wont run if it is not completely dry. 

Edited by yankeedog
content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

Yes fully wound but won't run  due to dirt or lack of lubrication, run it immersed in naphtha. Dial and hands removed. That ought to clean out the dirt and old sludge.Then run it again if the fluid is dirty. let dry ,lubricate sparingly pay attention to the hairspring when doing so the watch wont run if it is not completely dry. 

Ok, i will try that. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, vinn3 said:

it  sounds like the main spring is broken.

This is also a possibility.But I have noticed that a broken mainspring will usually wind forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

synthetic 0w20 motor oil.I have had good results with it. I have tried ATF , but it is too thin. I have tried hypoid gear oil, but it is too thick.now mind you I don't work on anything too expensive. according to the viscosity chart  0w20 and 0w30  have a thickness very similar to moebius oils used for general lubrication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
17 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

synthetic 0w20 motor oil.I have had good results with it. I have tried ATF , but it is too thin. I have tried hypoid gear oil, but it is too thick.now mind you I don't work on anything too expensive. according to the viscosity chart  0w20 and 0w30  have a thickness very similar to moebius oils used for general lubrication.

Fantastic, I can pick that up today! Again, thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Perhaps a typo,   "  the crown will now wind , it will spin in revese. 

Please clarify.

 

I assumed ".. crown will *not* wind, (but) it will spin in reverse..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Oh, I misunderstood you too. Yes wound fully.

If the crowns turns in reverse dumping the wind, possible fault at the click.

Good thing you are online, to translate.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
37 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

synthetic 0w20 motor oil.I have had good results with it. I have tried ATF , but it is too thin. I have tried hypoid gear oil, but it is too thick.now mind you I don't work on anything too expensive. according to the viscosity chart  0w20 and 0w30  have a thickness very similar to moebius oils used for general lubrication.

I have a 1/2 litre of 0W30 sitting idle. I'm up for experimenting with it, so I'll pick a suitable "victim" and let you know how I get on.

Slightly off topic, I was getting nagged by the on board computer on my Volvo to put in 1/2 litre of oil (it is a diesel, and the manual calls for 0W30). Naturally nobody sells 1/2 ltr of the stuff, so you have to purchase 1ltr and since it is due a service, so the whole lot will be changed soon anyway, it is all a bit of a faff. 

The dratted vehicle doesn't even have a dipstick. The computer senses the oil level, and there is no other way of checking it,  so presumably if the sensor fails, the first thing I will know about it is when the engine explodes.

What is so difficult about checking the oil for goodness sake? I've managed in every one of the (very many) other vehicles I've ever owned or driven, but this one assumes I'm either an idiot, or a snowflake who shudders at the though of opening the bonnet (or the hood, if you live on the sunny side of the pond). 

Everything these days is over complicated by the un-necessary addition of "toys". I'm surprised the thing doesn't phone up Volvo and complain about me for ignoring its nagging for a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/19/2019 at 1:41 PM, yankeedog said:

Yes fully wound but won't run  due to dirt or lack of lubrication, run it immersed in naphtha. Dial and hands removed. That ought to clean out the dirt and old sludge.Then run it again if the fluid is dirty. let dry ,lubricate sparingly pay attention to the hairspring when doing so the watch wont run if it is not completely dry. 

Naptha - aka lighter fluid. Cheap and easily sourced. In the UK, I use lighter fluid from Asda or Poundland. Both worked fine on the Timex movements I've cleaned recently.  Expect to pay.. about a pound, for a small can (100ml). 

The purists will no doubt be spluttering in to their coffee about all of this talk of lighter fluid and engine oils, but they are a reasonable substitute for more specialist watch products, if you are only doing inexpensive movements at the hobby level.

If you plan on doing this for a living, or servicing a family heirloom, then I would suggest stick with the tried and tested, branded, specialist watch cleaning and lubrication products.

Edited by AndyHull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Naptha - aka lighter fluid. Cheap and easily sourced. In the UK, I use lighter fluid from Asda or Poundland. Both worked fine on the Timex movements I've cleaned recently.  Expect to pay.. about a pound, for a small can (100ml). 

The purists will no doubt be spluttering in to their coffee about all of this talk of lighter fluid and engine oils, but they are a reasonable substitute for more specialist watch products, if you are only doing inexpensive movements at the hobby level.

If you plan on doing this for a living, or servicing a family heirloom, then I would suggest stick with the tried and tested, branded, specialist watch cleaning and lubrication products.

100% agreement.As I have stated many times.Don't do this on your Rolex!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I have a 1/2 litre of 0W30 sitting idle. I'm up for experimenting with it, so I'll pick a suitable "victim" and let you know how I get on.

Slightly off topic, I was getting nagged by the on board computer on my Volvo to put in 1/2 litre of oil (it is a diesel, and the manual calls for 0W30). Naturally nobody sells 1/2 ltr of the stuff, so you have to purchase 1ltr and since it is due a service, so the whole lot will be changed soon anyway, it is all a bit of a faff. 

The dratted vehicle doesn't even have a dipstick. The computer senses the oil level, and there is no other way of checking it,  so presumably if the sensor fails, the first thing I will know about it is when the engine explodes.

What is so difficult about checking the oil for goodness sake? I've managed in every one of the (very many) other vehicles I've ever owned or driven, but this one assumes I'm either an idiot, or a snowflake who shudders at the though of opening the bonnet (or the hood, if you live on the sunny side of the pond). 

Everything these days is over complicated by the un-necessary addition of "toys". I'm surprised the thing doesn't phone up Volvo and complain about me for ignoring its nagging for a week.

Ack! People wonder why I still drive my Volvo 240 Gasoline red block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Motor oil? aye aye aye!!!!!  get some bearing grease too...which btw I have found in at few watches :(

if you don't want to buy a synthetic watch oil you can use a synthetic lubricant with Teflon.  I bought two pen sized tubes from Radio Shack 12 years ago and still have at least 1/3 left in each.  

and you have to by watch grease to use on the stem tubes and area where the set lever pivots. Also, just a dab where the winding gear meets the mainspring gear.  Works wonders!

Basic "Network 54 Vintage Timex Watch Forum" method 3 cleaners.  ammonia , water, lighter fluid > soak rinse soak, oil grease

 

and on a personal note - just back from cardiologist and all is going very well since heart attack 7 weeks ago.  Dropped 10 pounds so far and feeling great.  He gave me the okay to resume normal activities and can't wait to get back to the garden.   

Edited by JerseyMo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 minutes ago, JerseyMo said:

Motor oil? aye aye aye!!!!!  get some bearing grease too...which btw I have found in at few watches :(

if you don't want to buy a synthetic watch oil you can use a synthetic lubricant with Teflon.  I bought two pen sized tubes from Radio Shack 12 years ago and still have at least 1/3 left in each.  

and you have to by watch grease to use on the stem tubes and area where the set lever pivots. Also, just a dab where the winding gear meets the mainspring gear.  Works wonders!

Basic "Network 54 Vintage Timex Watch Forum" method 3 cleaners.  ammonia , water, lighter fluid > soak rinse soak, oil grease

 

and on a personal note - just back from cardiologist and all is going very well since heart attack 7 weeks ago.  Dropped 10 pounds so far and feeling great.  He gave me the okay to resume normal activities and can't wait to get back to the garden.   

How about Moebius 8000 oil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

and on a personal note - just back from cardiologist and all is going very well since heart attack 7 weeks ago.  Dropped 10 pounds so far and feeling great.  He gave me the okay to resume normal activities and can't wait to get back to the garden.

Great news.:Bravo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, JerseyMo said:

and on a personal note - just back from cardiologist and all is going very well since heart attack 7 weeks ago.  Dropped 10 pounds so far and feeling great.  He gave me the okay to resume normal activities and can't wait to get back to the garden  

Glad to hear you're on the mend, JerseyMo!  Stay well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Hi Everyone, New to this. Have a pocket watch as seen in the pictures. I've stripped it down so far. I have done a bit of quick learning by researching it. I believe it is turn of the century. All parts are serial numbered the same 12796. It's not a fusee but not sure if it is a "going" or "motor" barrel. The mainspring may be a T End and I am still working out size needed. From the pics is there a diagram somewhere for parts? Is this an English watch or is it one of the turn of the century mass imported American one?  I believe it was sold by a "watchmaker" R. Richardson who may have only been a seller. The case is silver and hallmarked as shown possibly 1895? The case maker I believe is C.H possibly Charles Horner. Who is the watchmaker is the big question. Whats parts are missing? Any help would be great as I am itching to put it all back together again. I will need some hands for the dial as well, if anyone can advise it would be appreciated. There are also inscribed numbers on this inside of the case, servicing references maybe? Thanks.
    • If you intend to work on PWs only, you will surely need no winders for ladies WW. You could get a coarse idea of the needed winder sizes if you take half of the movement diameter minus 20%. Frank
    • Hiya, Thank you for the offer!!! I don’t have a specific spring I’m working on now. I’ve been buying the supplies and equipment I need and have picked up a few pocket watches to take apart, clean, and put together. Some are missing parts. Once i start taking them apart I’ll definitely be posting pics and reaching out Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Yes, I don't think they've been made for some time and any offered as new were/are remains of old stock. There was a time even in the 70s as mechanical watches were heading toward supposed extinction that women churned out piecework of vibrated springs matched to balances from home. They'd have a Greiner Spiromatic and some killer tweezers and do this stuff at a speed and precision that's unbelievable. I'm almost sure the lady I met at Parmigiani from the post above was one of these workers, pulled in from semiretirement. There's no demand for such tools now and there's enough on the used market to satisfy the collectors and occasional users. My set has been updated numerous times in the last 20 years as I found better examples to replace the ones I had, selling off the lesser pieces. Being in Switzerland we're a bit spoiled as you stumble upon this stuff at random flea markets. I found a selection of screw slotting files a few months back, really fine ones they don't make anymore, for two bucks a piece, new old stock.
    • Save your money, the tweezers in the hswalsh link is of little use. OH did a very good job finding this tool, but it is the smallest of the set, too small for gents- or pocketwatches. I suppose it is the remains of a long sold stock. My old Bergeon catalog shows them, but they were no more available when the catalog was issued. Frank
×
×
  • Create New...