Most Useless Watch Tool

jdrichard

14 hours ago, m1ks said:

20190517_210010.jpg

20190517_210039.jpg

My guess it that the failure point was the winder shaft. I suspect that realistically, you would have to make that from steel as abs plastic is not robust enough.

Its a neat idea though, but probably requires a little more engineering to get it right.

Where did you get the design?

10 hours ago, AndyHull said:

My guess it that the failure point was the winder shaft. I suspect that realistically, you would have to make that from steel as abs plastic is not robust enough.

Its a neat idea though, but probably requires a little more engineering to get it right.

Where did you get the design?

The failure point was in fact the barrel height, the winder shaft is surprisingly strong, pla, in this case, snaps rather than bends under stress.

The height was too high for the Seiko spring allowing coils to jump over another, combine that with the fact it had been abused a little with a couple of kinks I straightened. It snapped off at the saddle.

The file was from thingiverse. I don't have the link handy though.

Edited by m1ks

2 hours ago, m1ks said:

The failure point was in fact the barrel height, the winder shaft is surprisingly strong, pla, in this case, snaps rather than bends under stress.

The height was too high for the Seiko spring allowing coils to jump over another, combine that with the fact it had been abused a little with a couple of kinks I straightened. It snapped off at the saddle.

The file was from thingiverse. I don't have the link handy though.

Interesting. If the CAD file is in the files on thingiverse, then you could presumably adjust the height of the barrel so it may be possible to fix the issue. I may take a look at this when I get some spare time. If you have the link, that might save me a git of google time.

9 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Interesting. If the CAD file is in the files on thingiverse, then you could presumably adjust the height of the barrel so it may be possible to fix the issue. I may take a look at this when I get some spare time. If you have the link, that might save me a git of google time.

There's an scad file in there if that's useful?

mainspring_winders.scad

• 6 months later...