A toolbox

Squiffything

I’ve had down the shed a box that I’d saved from the skip years ago. I’ve always intended to do something with it one day so decided that that day had come. I need something to keep my tools in and thought that might be ideal for what I require. So from a pile of wooden parts split lid, scratches etc i now have a little toolbox

B855CA96-FB73-4C91-BF47-4AABA50C4E86.jpeg

Fitting a key to a lock is not hard, This lock should be a lever type, just take the lock off,, take off the cover plate and you will see 2 or 3 levers, start with the bottom lever, file a key that will lift the lever over the post and move the bolt , put the 2nd lever back on, repeat, and so on. 

1 hour ago, JimmyD said:

Fitting a key to a lock is not hard, This lock should be a lever type, just take the lock off,, take off the cover plate and you will see 2 or 3 levers, start with the bottom lever, file a key that will lift the lever over the post and move the bolt , put the 2nd lever back on, repeat, and so on. 

Cheers Jimmy I’ll have a look.

The day has been fruitful carrying on and finishing the toolbox. It originally had a life as a canteen of cutlery and had a old scruffy blue velvet or felt like material and loads of wooden partitioned sections for all the knives forks and spoons. Some had fallen out the material was ripped and it looked in a sorry state. 

As it’s for tools it doesn’t need a material inlay just something that covers the wood and give a little protection. I decided on thick card stock and in the deep drawer a sheet of foam core board. I’m pleased with the outcome.

E8F09515-A418-456F-AF72-A0DF1C05474C.jpeg

Quick tool tip for cutting material (cloth, leather, thin plastic sheet, cardstock etc).

Get a quilters rotary cutter (available from the usual suspects) and a steel ruler. You get perfect straight cuts, with clean edges. It works with larger sizes, multiple layers, and materials that wont go in a guillotine.

The only thing I would advise. Get in the habit of using the guard on it, or you may end up picking your fingers up off the floor, or wondering where all the pretty red ink is coming from.

Not everything came with it, I’ve been buying a few extras but the lathe and mill attachment and most of the Emco stuff with the original lathe were there. 

Ive also purchased two upgrade motors and associated bumph to improve it by turning it into variable speed on separate independent  motors for the lathe and mill. Just waiting for the PSU unit to turn up to fit that all together.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You have the saw and indexing attachment plus a knurling tool. They are the parts I don’t have.

I have lots of other attachments. I'm always looking on ebay. The prices are way to high. 

The knurling tool isn’t an Emco product but it will fit in the toolposts so I can use it. The saw was a mistake purchase. It’s one for the SL so the fitting isn’t correct. They did two for the SL one of which is totally different. This is the same shape and design as the U3 one however the fitting plate is wrong. The actual saw unit unbolts from the fitting plate so I should be able to fabricate something. 

OMG another subject of the Unimat 3 :) and very well equipped nevertheless!
I've got a SIEG C0 myself and become a bit fixated about. I'm learning with it, have many ideas About self-made accessories, which as noted do cost a good deal. I'm in contact with another well known enthusiast, maybe we should find a place to swap ideas and projects.

BTW the wooden box is  great, I left something similar behind when moved. But then got the below, it was filled with a million of plastic  tubes for stems. If anyone wants some just let me know.

DSC_0045.JPG