Jump to content
  • 0
berniethebolt

roamer quartz

Question

my friend gave me a roamer quartz to look at but i dont know how to get inside! the back appears to be one piece and there is no where to put a case knife.there is an indentation near the crown but no where to get a purchase.in fact it just looks more like a DENT!.Do i have to take the crystal off?( i have done this before) But how do i remove the stem?

2019-05-16 16.40.25.jpg

2019-05-16 16.40.57.jpg

2019-05-16 16.41.22.jpg

2019-05-16 17.48.29.jpg

2019-05-16 17.49.52.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hi Bernie   If it is indeed a monobloc case the stems are usually split stems and the crown and part of the stem clips out allowing the removal of the movement,  and access to the second part of the stem in the watch. Some require some force but be careful and pull straight so as not to damage the stem and not too much force and  damage the keyless work. one method is to use top cutters and a piece of tough thin plastic between the cutters and the button to protect if from marking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Your case looks like ones that are used by Wittnauer and Longines, among a few others. On these you have to "blow" the crystal through the case tube after removing the crown. It should be a two-piece stem that has to be pulled smartly, perhaps with a set of nipper pliers. If the case is karat gold, you should be extra careful about where the jaws are levering. But that's how I've pulled them out of Wittnauers with such case.

Usually there will be an engraving on the back that says something like, "Use 1260 wrench". These squeeze the crystal to remove it, rather than having to blow the crystal with a syringe.  I don't see it on yours, so maybe I'm missing something. Good luck.

Looks like Watchweasol beat me to the draw. But they do say the same thing, in essence..

Edited by MrRoundel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Most but not all of my all Roamers are housed in a “brevete waterproof” case which pushes through from the front with a little pressure from the thumbs, no tools required to get to the movement.


I can't say that yours is the same but a clearer picture from the crown side i.e. picture 4 & 5 should allow confirmation if yours is of a similar design.



Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

You can tilt the movement out once you remove the crystal.Them stem would be in two pieces, a sort of male/female arrangement. The part attached to the crown being split.With the movement slightly tilted rotate the crown, feel for the spot where the split is perpendicular to the case, it will be obvious to you when it is as the movement will have the most tilt. It should then tilt out pretty easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

thanks to all that answered my query.it was indeed a split stem which i managed to pull out with forefinger and thumb!used my crystal lift replaced the battery and bobs your uncle.gratefully yours,the Bolt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/17/2019 at 3:43 PM, berniethebolt said:

thanks to all that answered my query.it was indeed a split stem which i managed to pull out with forefinger and thumb!used my crystal lift replaced the battery and bobs your uncle.gratefully yours,the Bolt.

further to this post things did not go as well as i thought:i changed the battery and the second started off on its way then after a while it stopped and just jerked a little.it pulses a little but that is it.the movement is an eta 555-415 and i have found a service chart but i am loathe to take it apart as i am more comfortable with a mechanical movement.any ideas? can it be kick started?B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi bernie, May need just a clean.

To kick start, put some lighter fluid on jewels/ holes of the gear train you can reach, push an accessible wheel to make it go.

Any evidence of water/ moisture having got to the EB? Water ruins the EB and it behaves as you described, not repairable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Quartz movements make me cringe.you could try flushing it out with a plastic safe electronic spray cleaner. I have had mixed success with it. Don't hit it with a full force blast , just let it sort of dribble through you will be surprised at the gunk you wash out. let it dry in the sun.

Edited by yankeedog
content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, yankeedog said:

Quartz movements make me cringe.you could try flushing it out with a plastic safe electronic spray cleaner. I have had mixed success with it. Don't hit it with a full force blast , just let it sort of dribble through you will be surprised at the gunk you wash out. let it dry in the sun.

 

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi bernie, May need just a clean.

To kick start, put some lighter fluid on jewels/ holes of the gear train you can reach, push an accessible wheel to make it go.

Any evidence of water/ moisture having got to the EB? Water ruins the EB and it behaves as you described, not repairable.

will give both a try.was thinking of replacing with a 955.412 which seems to be the same size and is available from cousins from around £23 with postage if my friend wants to go that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/19/2019 at 3:22 PM, berniethebolt said:

 

will give both a try.was thinking of replacing with a 955.412 which seems to be the same size and is available from cousins from around £23 with postage if my friend wants to go that way!

Further to this post I obtained a 955.412 which came with a normal stem. I tried the original stem but it didn't fit. Tried to look for split stem for this movement but have not had any luck. Any ideas? B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Cousins are showing that they have a male inner stem for the 955.412 in stock. Length is 9.79mm. ETA956101964 (Disregard the "Swiss Part Description" filter and just search by caliber and scroll through the result set, it will be towards the end of the list.)

Bit confused though as the Ranfft site shows that both the 955.412 and 555.412 as having the same stem reference.

Probably best to measure the original split stem and check that the ends of both stems that you have actually match.

Hope that this is of some use to you.

Nigel



Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, nad said:

Cousins are showing that they have a male inner stem for the 955.412 in stock. Length is 9.79mm. ETA956101964 (Disregard the "Swiss Part Description" filter and just search by caliber and scroll through the result set, it will be towards the end of the list.)

Bit confused though as the Ranfft site shows that both the 955.412 and 555.412 as having the same stem reference.

Probably best to measure the original split stem and check that the ends of both stems that you have actually match.

Hope that this is of some use to you.

Nigel



Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
 

the male inner stem seems right but i will need a new female stem as the original is now a little short to fit this movement!they sure dont make it easy do they? thanks for your help.fingers crossed! B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Look under Generic Watch Parts Stem Extensions on the Cousins site. I've used the female extensions in the past. They screw into the crown and you need to cut them to length to ensure that it engages correctly with the male inner stem.

They currently only show a limited number of tap sizes. As such you may have to replace the crown as well if what they have available is a different tap size to the current crown.





Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, nad said:

Look under Generic Watch Parts Stem Extensions on the Cousins site. I've used the female extensions in the past. They screw into the crown and you need to cut them to length to ensure that it engages correctly with the male inner stem.

They currently only show a limited number of tap sizes. As such you may have to replace the crown as well if what they have available is a different tap size to the current crown.





Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
 

Just ordered it. Will let you know how I get on. B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...