Tmuir

I put away my cartridge razor

9 hours ago, TexasDon said:

I also use a silvertip badger shaving brush, a hand thrown mug and an artisan produced shaving soap. Shaving each morning is a pleasure, not a chore.

My budget didn't stretch to a silvertip badger brush, I settled for a best badger brush which is one down from silvertip.

I bought one of the apothecary style mugs, but can see me replacing that for a hand made one at some point in the future, but did buy artisan soap, one scented with Australian native plant essential oils. It takes me longer to shave now, but I agree that's its more enjoyable than hacking away with a cartridge razor in the shower.

16 hours ago, canthus said:

Thinking again I believe my dads old razor was a 'Rolls' not Ronson. Anyone else know this type?

I have a Rolls in the collection. It's a kind of evolutionary step between a straight and a safety in that it comprises what appears to be a 1.5 inch section from a straight razor with a safety razor type handle attached. It all comes in a cunningly designed case which contains a honing surface on the inside of one lid, and a stropping surface on the inside of the other lid, and a fiendishly devised mechanism to allow the blade to be honed and stropped at the precisely correct angle within the case.

I have used mine and does deliver quite a good shave but being a half way house between a straight and a DE it's neither as good as the straight nor as quick as the Gillettes.

I have also had pass through the collection a number of Gem and Ever Ready single edge safety razors, a couple of Valet Autostrop razors which also use a SE safety razor blade but are cleverly designed so that a specially made strop can be threaded through the razor head and the blade stropped in situ, and a Wilkinson Sword 7 day set which is like a cross between an Autostrop and a Rolls; it uses blades that look similar to the Rolls blades and has an Autostrop type arrangement for keeping them stropped. It's called a 7 day set because it comes with 7 blades, marked with the days of the week, so that you only have to bother with a (marathon) stropping session once a week and just use a different blade each day.

I've been using straight razors (cut throats) for around 15 years, I also own a Merkur Future clone (available for around £13 on Ali Express) 

Some of my straight razors are 100-150 years old and I am extremely proud to be part of their history. Most were manufactured in either Sheffield or Solingen and I have purchased them from all over the world. It would be wonderful to see their journey through time!

I must add...They have, if cared for, a few hundred more years life in themB)

The Merkur Future clone is for when I have a hangover, it's a excellent DE (safety razor) with a Gillette 7 o'clock blade;)

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-31 at 16.34.51.jpeg

Nice collection, I've looked at a few on ebay but havent purchase any, but I have been learning about what is worth buying and what is not (blades smiling or frowning, rust) etc

1 hour ago, ro63rto said:

Found this while trying to make some room in my garage.

Dare I try it emoji47.png

The blade handle on the left is attached to the honing mechanism lever via a spring-loaded bearing. The nickel plated blade on the right side is attached to the honing bar that slides on the red leather strop. The grey honing stone is part of the closing lid. The leather strop and the hone lids are not interchangeable as the blade needs to push against the hone but pull against the strop. The blade has a safety guard with pivot action that allows it to vary the shaving angle while providing safe operation. The head of the blade handle locks perpendicular to the blade using a slide type of action with the spring-loaded bearing providing additional stability

Sheesh!  That was gleaned from Wiki.  Fascinating contrivance!  I've never encountered such a thing.  Good find!

But seriously, folks.......

If you have an old razor laying round, it's cheap to try.  Couple dollars will get you a blade sampler on the auction, I paid around 20 dollars for a badger brush and chrome holder for the brush and razor (Muisco, Amazon), and 10 dollars gets a tube of Italian shaving cream.  Proraso is amazing stuff.  Incredible amount of lather from a centimeter of cream and a little water.   I can't recommend this product strongly enough.

I had seen Clark Gable shave with something from a tube in a 30's movie.  Can't say I ever encountered it otherwise until recently.  And this is part of the deal.  Nostalgia.

Sandalwood has an aroma I had not encountered since childhood.  It brought images of my grandfather immediately to mind.  That's what that orange colored shaving soap smelled like!  Always wondered.  No idea what brand it was, likely from a door to door company called Watkins, no longer in existence.

Shaving this way is tedious and time consuming.  Expect cuts if you have soft skin such as mine.  But the accoutrements, chemicals and the precision required all combine to give me another hobby.  It makes a terribly mundane task enjoyable.

My Gillette is sadly lacking.  It was probably their last model and dates to early in 1977.  The blade in it is from early in 1978.  I kept the blade.  It probably gave Granddad his last shave and was probably given to him in the hospital by my father toward the end.

It's a terrible razor!  Part nylon, crooked head and guides.  It was toward the end of Gillette's production of DE types.  

Thanks to TMuir, I have a Rockwell coming.  I got the 2C in gunmetal as don't really need all of the adjustments.  I was planning to buy the Australian Viking Emperor, but can't really see needing the complications of all the adjustments and the thing is too fat to fit my razor holder!  Glad I checked this out first!  It could have been disastrous .   The proprieties must be observed!