Newmark Pin Pallet

Deggsie

There is something very relaxing, maybe reassuring about the sound of this relatively loud Pin Pallet Newmark watch. I picked it up on eBay some years ago in a non working state and discovered as usual that the balance pivots and hair spring were to blame. Anyway, a similar movement came up for grabs and luckily the balance and hairspring were fine. The old newmark received a donor kidney and is now ticking away beautifully. Mind you, my wife says it drives her mad!

I’m told these were manufactured at Croydon, in Kent England, adjacent to the now defunct airport. I’m not certain though.

bfcba7df91e504a8db931a71493d80b0.jpg&key=5c06008d0bd33e616b3a9294f72eca4e9fad1b9d9a7794729e0ac8d7bdf9307c

4ea995cbdd4b68a6cf93096a11756170.jpg&key=4bd00bae343672441ad43e928ecd63f24084076501a9305bc3bbb435513d4ef9

9dba696feedc3d8d0c282172180a25b5.jpg&key=334ec2ce73007db08a861bd9c6d7edadf37cea515f49feada43012a257ad7edf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a couple of Newmark branded watches. They seemed to do quite a range over the years. From what little I can gather of their history, they were more of a watch importer and seller latterly, but they did put together quite a number of interesting watches.

Mainly their offerings were at the affordable end of the spectrum, which in a way makes them more interesting from a historical point of view. Not everybody could afford a Rolex, but brands like Newmark, Timex, Saxon and others were more indicative of the zeitgeist. These brands and styling are very much of their time, and that, to my mind is a major part of their appeal.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

There's nothing wrong with their design really.The one you have even has a shock protected balance.It's a pity they didn't put them in better cases.

Agree with you about the cases. They are ww2 era; perhaps costs were being kept to a minimum for affordability?

• 3 weeks later...
Late coming to your post of 15th May but, yes, the Newmark company was based in Croydon and the movement in your example is their own in-house movement which they named only as the 10.5'''.
Regards.

Thank you balaton. I appreciate your information.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.