Jump to content
  • 0
Nucejoe

Questions, Valjoux

Question

                        1- I read CDG Rotor quite offen, what dose CDG stand for?

                         2- I got a 7750 movement, marked VAL,  dose that mean it is a genuine swiss valjoux?

                         3- When did valjoux start producin in Asia.

  

Edited by Nucejoe
Sorry for the messed up format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

 

57 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

            1- I read CDG Rotor quite offen, what dose CDG stand for?

                         2- I got a 7750 movement, marked VAL,  dose that mean it is a genuine swiss valjoux?

                         3- When did valjoux start producin in Asia.

1. CDG (Cote De Geneve) is the striped finish on the rotor.
2. Some might have been stamped with VAL before it was integrated in the Swatch Group (ETA)
3. Clones are made in Asia and some spare parts. Otherwise the history is in this link.
https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Valjoux_7750

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
34 minutes ago, HSL said:

 

1. CDG (Cote De Geneve) is the striped finish on the rotor.
2. Some might have been stamped with VAL before it was integrated in the Swatch Group (ETA)
3. Clones are made in Asia and some spare parts. Otherwise the history is in this link.
https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Valjoux_7750

Thank you HSL, Informative as usual, so mine signed VAL 7750, was produced prior to integration with swatch, therefor, genuine. I red ( on the net) the genuine ones have five ball bearing rotor, mine got seven, what is your thought on that?  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Thank you HSL, Informative as usual, so mine signed VAL 7750, was produced prior to integration with swatch, therefor, genuine. I red ( on the net) the genuine ones have five ball bearing rotor, mine got seven, what is your thought on that?  Thanks in advance.

The most of the 7750 rotors I'we seen has just 5 balls from the factory, guess it's the minimum amount of balls that will make it last for a certain time.(There has to be an aftermarket too.) Then there are some third-party bearings with 7 balls in them, one could say they have upgraded it a bit. 
I am in no sence involved in Selling these so I put this link here in an informative sence ;) 
https://www.mps-watch.com/en/products/bearings/prodige.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
41 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

The old Valjoux 7750 rotor has 7 balls from what I've seen. These have a pressed/riveted bearing, unlike the modern version with the bayonet fitting.

Thank you @nickelsilver , makes perfect sense, I bought just the movement, used, about twenty years ago, it must have worked in a watch like ten to fifteen years, seemed to me, aftermarket bearings are unlikely to have had a market then, good enough to justify costs of a new design/ production, thence, seven ball bearings could have come in old versions, now we know it did. Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

The old Valjoux 7750 rotor has 7 balls from what I've seen. These have a pressed/riveted bearing, unlike the modern version with the bayonet fitting.

So it seems you have an untainted Valjoux in you Collection, so nucejoe now we need some movementporn,pictures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, HSL said:

So it seems you have an untainted Valjoux in you Collection, so nucejoe now we need some movementporn,pictures!

Yes sir, it's just the movement, it came in a Lot of 150 movements, dirty now and in pieces, ran good in my view, will clean post pix in this here thread and inform you all. Regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi @HSL  , The valjoux movement is on the bench, received penetrating oil before final strip down.dirty dirty. 

I need your guidance for useful presentation of the pictorial. Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi @HSL  , The valjoux movement is on the bench, received penetrating oil before final strip down.dirty dirty. 

I need your guidance for useful presentation of the pictorial. Joe

lol for a while I thought we were in the red-light district with all the Dirty talk..
I'm not sure of what you mean, I'm extremely photogenic but it might not help here.. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, HSL said:

lol for a while I thought we were in the red-light district with all the Dirty talk..
I'm not sure of what you mean, I'm extremely photogenic but it might not help here.. :)

I have no idea how to make this presentation. Sbow all parts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The only markings on the movement are the words Swiss Made, 15 Jewels and a small 5 under the balance arm. I don't currently have a very accurate caliper but I think it is 34.7mm rather than 36.4 as the Unitas 6497 movement wouldn't fit. Here is a picture of the dial side but I haven't seen any writing on it. I do not believe that the movement has ever been changed since it was made in around the 1930s.  
    • I have a nice little carriage clock in for service, very good shape, except for over 0.30mm sideshake of the barrel arbor in the barrel. Thought I would show how I bush these; it seems they often get overlooked or just skipped as they are a little more fussy than just bushing a plate. I measure everything up, then remove the boss in the barrel, and make a bushing that fits from the inside and is stepped, replacing the boss. This way it's captive, and doesn't require a big interference fit to get seated and stay. I turn up the bushing with a boring tool in the lathe, doing the outside as well (running in reverse of course), then do the barrel opening with the same tool. It's a pretty quick process once you have the moves down!    
    • Well the movement is Unitas, but they did make many many different calibers. What is the exact diameter of the movement, and can you get a pic of the dial side? Are there no markings near the balance cock or on the dial side? If not it will take some digging but you will probably find it on Ranfft's site.
    • I must admit I have never even clapped eyes on one like that, but my gut feeling is that you back off the key in the opposite direction to winding, and it will unscrew, then undo the knurled bolt, and pull on it, and *something* should slide out of something else. The chances that I am completely wrong however are around 50% EDIT: Wow.. Barographs are expensive when new.. https://www.metcheck.co.uk/collections/barographs . I'll need to keep an eye out for one, they look pretty interesting, similar to  clockwork seismograph recorders .   
    • Thank you but I should have mentioned before, tried a Unitas 6497 clone movement to see if it was the correct size. The gears are far finer and the escape wheel teeth are the wrong size and it was slightly too short. It has a Swiss Lever escapement as far as I can tell and is about 4.5mm in height. If it helps the mainspring barrel is the size of the winding gear on the top and seems to be fully attached to it.
×
×
  • Create New...