To boldly go where no man has gone before..

HSL

Ever since I saw Andy Hulls Mao ZeDong watch it has haunted me in my dreams so after a long search I found one, the search has been a safety percaussion from my side so I wouldn't find a specimen which would give me the urge to poke my eyes out with forks while working on the watch! But a curiousity inside me have driven me to bravely explore these movements too.
The watch is not for me but a treat for my better half thats why I broke the budget and Went all in with a bid of approximately 10£ ...lol
It's a Guangzhou Five Goat Watch Company Dixmont Mao Ze Dong 100 year anniversary watch ( I think) in its original box. Just the Company name should give respect in any cirumstances.

When I get my hands on the Watch i will take some better photos and ofcourse get in touch with the company and ask for the watches history.
Here are some photos from the dealer and I will ofcourse document my adventure with this beauty.

307603688_4dcc23d7-c5a6-4d48-a58a-fe2b58bc4396.jpg

307603688_9f734c7c-2492-43ef-ac36-728ba1e72439.jpg

• Like 1

Yupps Five Goat, at first I thought I read it wrong since Swedish is my native language but after a while it sank in and I  realized it actually stod Five goat Watch Factory!

http://chinesewatchwiki.net/Guangzhou_Five_Goat_Watch_Company

This made me want to research it a little bit more and there it was the whole legend..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Five_Goats

The strange thing is they make chinese Grade A movements and a shitload with parts to "Swiss" watch assemblers.
They have a official english hompage mainly written in Mandarin..

http://www.dixmont.com.cn/en/

I find things like this fascinating! Can't wait for it tu turn up :D .

Edited by HSL

From the Chinese Watch Wiki you linked to above..

• Roughly 95% of revenue from movements and components (including tourbillons), 5% from whole watches
  • Over $10,000,000 after tax profit and 800 employees in 2012

So they seem to be doing pretty well. I might even have one of the Guangzhou skeleton movement based watches in the "404 Club" collection. I'll need to take a look.

Today MAO arrived ans at first I thought this might be an nice adventure.

But imediately I opend the back my enthusiasm sank to rock bottom, made in Japan..

From the dial one can see it has been loved and worn extesivly.

The movement was glued into place.

MAO1.jpg

MAO2.jpg

MAO3.jpg

MAO4.jpg

After cleaning the dial up as good as it got I went to bussiness..
I thought hard and tried to measure a replacement movement up, the first try was an Zenith 305, I thought that is more worthy an chairman.

MAO7.jpg

MAO5.jpg

MAO6.jpg

So now I have to continue this adventure. I have hard time choosing what movement to try out next, maybe since it's Friday I just should take a glas of wine and let this project ripen a bit :D 

MAO9.jpg