• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• I usually end up trying every tool I think may work. 
    • Thanks everyone for the great responses.  Hope I get enough time to practice being just hobbiest currently! Just my mobile platform. Chrome browser, Android O/S. 
    • Thank you watchweasol. It took me a while to figure out how to the jam the train wheels and while I was trying to figure that out, I discovered the horn on which the pallet fork moves back and forth was bent and that did not allow the escape wheel to move further from the entry stone of the pallet fork. I managed to straighten that and tried putting on the balance but no luck. Then, I used a thin needle to try and jam the train of wheels and the end of that neddle was resting on the center wheel. In that state, when I tried to move the pallet fork, it was responsive and I could see it was allowing the escape wheel to move with corresponding movement of the other wheels. The moment I removed the needle from the 'jar' position, the escape wheel was no longer responsive. I'm still trying figure out what the issue is considering all wheels were spinning freely after I removed the pallet fork and tried winding the barrel.  Secondly, I did everything as you said i.e. Only put the barrel, ratchet and the barrel gear. After winding the spring a little, I tried to release the click spring but the barrel did not unwind. This is what I'm examining currently as I write this.  P. S. I manually unwound the power from the barrel by rotating the ratchet gear in the opposite direction till the point I could not rotate it anymore. 
    • Hi,    Its been a long time since I posted anything but I've ran into an issue that's a little different. I'm repairing a Rolex datejust with a 1570 movement. The watch has been exposed to a lot of moisture. The date ring itself is discolored and paint is separating from it. I have obtained a replacement. Now the issue is the date seating ring has some rust.  Two of the screws that hold it in place were badly rusted but I was able to remove them.  The real issue is one of the tabs on the date seating ring that hold the calendar ring in place has rusted and is preventing the calendar ring from moving properly. I have looked for a replacement part and it is expensive and hard to find.  The ones I have seen seem like they might have the same problem. I was wondering if it is possible to knock out the rusted tab and replace it with something? There is a hole underneath the seating ring where the tab is so I'm assuming it is just friction fitted. Any ideas would be much appreciated, especially if anyone has dealt with this issue before. Thanks, Charles 
    • Is there a reason a pin vise isn't in that list? First thing that came to my mind, but it's not something I've been faced with on this scale before.