Liberty watch (lapanouse) runs face down only

Hello all,

I have a vintage Liberty watch corp , one jewel, unadjusted movement that is a pin lever type similar to a Lapanouse movement that only runs on it's belly  (face down).

Obviously, the stem must be faulty, but it runs so perfectly face down.   Any fixes to try before trying to find a new balance wheel assembly?

Thank you

thumbnail_IMG_7427.jpg

How flat is the hair spring ? Do you have the jewel in the right way around ?

I find pin pallet a nightmare. Usually fire up with an oil to the pins on the pallet.

Do you have a microscope to examine the pivots to see if one is bent ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BollyRotten said:

How flat is the hair spring ? Do you have the jewel in the right way around ?

I find pin pallet a nightmare. Usually fire up with an oil to the pins on the pallet.

Do you have a microscope to examine the pivots to see if one is bent ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help.  I meant to say "problem with staff" not stem.  I believe the top ? pivot of the staff is broken/shortened, when the watch is face down, the good pivot of the staff is seated properly and the balance wheel works.  The HS is flat, the jewel is correct.  Thank you

I have found with these vintage style of watches the wear of the pivot holes is a real problem. If cleaned and lubricated and providing the H/S is in good condition you can get them going. However don't expect positional stability or great readings on your timographer. 

• Like 2

Hi ;      Do you have a staking tool? and can you staff BW's ?  If so give caliber No, in which case I make you a deal you shouldn,t refuse, even though you can.:lol:

I supply the staffs,  you staff the wheels,  50/50. Each sids pays for one leg of shippin.

This offer is extended to all. Providing staff be available in my locality.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

I have found with these vintage style of watches the wear of the pivot holes is a real problem. If cleaned and lubricated and providing the H/S is in good condition you can get them going. However don't expect positional stability or great readings on your timographer. 

These are great watches to cut your "watch repair" teeth on.  I am still early on in my understanding of watch repair but these are great learning tools and I don't feel bad if they don't go back together again.

5 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi ;      Do you have a staking tool? and can you staff BW's ?  If so give caliber No, in which case I make you a deal you shouldn,t refuse, even though you can.:lol:

I supply the staffs,  you staff the wheels,  50/50. Each sids pays for one leg of shippin.

This offer is extended to all. Providing staff be available in my locality.

Thanks Nucejoe!  That is a very kind offer.  I am still learning much about watch repair and this watch one of my test cases. I don't feel too bad if I muck up these movements.  

• Thanks 1