GregC

Desktop Victorian style clock

Its quartz. To tell you the truth, I have not seen a mechanical clock movement for a very long time, at least 30 - 40 years so I wonder where you guys find them. Also, most of the watches I have come across are either battery or solar. 

Nice bit of fret work, you can still get new mechanical movements, however they are a lot more expensive than battery. The battery movement looks okay and you don't have to wind it every week. Another option is buy a working clock of eBay for not much money and fit it into the fretted case you make?

Quarts has its place.. just not found where that is yet....

Brass movements will last 300+ years, Quarts movements maybe 300 days, therefore brass is more economic if you live that long.... yip we are very "old" school.

Being new to repairing watches and clocks I have not formed an opinion yet of which is better. When I made this clock, the site I got the plans from had these movements so I bought them and never regretted putting them in. Its like that guy on TV that kept saying set it and forget it. One of the clocks I made then I still have on my wall and I still consider it one of the most beautiful clocks I have ever seen and I made it but its quartz so you guys probably dont want to see it.

And seen. You have skills sir. Don’t give up you just need to know that what you do is appreciated. Don’t forget many famous artists lived a life of poverty and died poor. Years later their artwork is appreciated and makes millions. 

Ok that doesn’t pay the bills but if you enjoy the work and get pleasure from the result then it’s worth pursuing. 

You're about 10 years late to encourage me with that as I gave it up after I couldnt get this sold. A little over a year ago I started doing leatherwork. I made all kinds of stuff there, you know the usual things, watch straps, belts, wallets, bags culminating with the leather steampunk clock I first posted here but I made all kinds of art there too but that sort of stuff is not pertinent here.

Thanks anyway, I will be getting the scrollsaw out and doing some cutting. I guess doing Mark's courses has encouraged me to get back in the swing of things. I have so many things to do now, I have motorbikes to fix, wood to cut, leather to hammer and watches to fix.