Hello fellow watch addicts,

I recently received some proof-of-concept 3-D renderings for a watch case I've wanted to  create. Thanks to @bjd1020 for sending me these very compelling samples. The movements are ETA 2671. As you can see from the pictures, the dimensions are nearly there and there is sufficient clearance for a generic 1 mm thick Plexi square that I will custom cut to serve as the crystal. The next step is printing the case back that will have 4-6 screws holding it ti the case. The movement holder is quite snug, but it can also will be secured with clamp and screws. More to come....

J

DSCN6058_tn.thumb.jpg.a02dbfeb915d6b3fb19acc00df675c81.jpgDSCN6057_tn.thumb.jpg.3fbc617e2ddec1dc037ea786b57a5d47.jpgDSCN6056_tn.thumb.jpg.434dfbf6e8537eb42ae6693ef23752e1.jpgDSCN6055_tn.thumb.jpg.c1736ba07203105e241f2ad52a29e5d9.jpg

DSCN6052_tn.thumb.jpg.295a81069e53afe7c2dd157de5d34f76.jpg

Edited by noirrac1j

Hello fellow watch addicts,

I recently received some proof-of-concept 3-D renderings for a watch case I've wanted to  create. Thanks to [mention=5622]bjd1020[/mention] for sending me these very compelling samples. The movements are ETA 2671. As you can see from the pictures, the dimensions are nearly there and there is sufficient clearance for a generic 1 mm thick Plexi square that I will custom cut to serve as the crystal. The next step is printing the case back that will have 4-6 screws holding it ti the case. The movement holder is quite snug, but it can also will be secured with clamp and screws. More to come....

J
DSCN6058_tn.thumb.jpg.a02dbfeb915d6b3fb19acc00df675c81.jpgDSCN6057_tn.thumb.jpg.3fbc617e2ddec1dc037ea786b57a5d47.jpgDSCN6056_tn.thumb.jpg.434dfbf6e8537eb42ae6693ef23752e1.jpgDSCN6055_tn.thumb.jpg.c1736ba07203105e241f2ad52a29e5d9.jpg
DSCN6052_tn.thumb.jpg.295a81069e53afe7c2dd157de5d34f76.jpg

Looks good Noirrac1j. I have the new printer set up and the water soluble fillament on the way so whenever youre ready for the next itteration let me know. I will also be doing the initial tesy run on the CNC machine this afternoon. I have some bronze billet on the way from McMaster Carr.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chopin said:

@noirrac1j

Are you going to use a normal sheet of straight acrylic and then somehow bend it ? Curious to find out how one could custom make a curved acrylic crystal.

Yes. The curve is subtle and will need to be glued so I might not need much to get it to stay in place, but the somehow is emphasized!

J

are you printing in PLA or ABS, got any tip/tricks you have learned from this experiance. I'm keen to give it a try ;-)
Noirrac1j's designs pictured here were printed in PLA. The printer used was a single head with no heated chamber so the mats are limited. Grain direction is obviously a factor. Our new set up has a dual head and heated chamber so we will be using dow's new water soluable support material and we have abs polycarb and many other options including impregnated materials. The final product will look much cleaner.

• Like 1

did you need to print it with supports, for the inner shoulder ? My printer is pretty basic, but your results are encouraging.
We tried on edge which would put the grain running in the preferred direction but result in more support and face up with non preferred grain and less support. These were printed on a flashforge finder which is fairly basic. Weve upgraded to a dreamer which should yield better results with more mat options. What printer are you using??

• Like 1

Hey @SteveT how are you? I don't believe we've met, so welcome to the forum!  I'll be cutting and fitting a blank crystal on one of the black PLA cases @bjd1020 printed out and will post the results.  I was sent numerous iterations of the watchcase (in different colors) and it's incredible how well they turned out in terms of dimensions. Next step is getting a drill bit to make holes in the case to accommodate the dual stem and crowns, and the last step will be figuring out the best way to make and secure the caseback--which will likely be held in place with 4-6 screws.

J

@noirrac1j   Nice to meet you too. For the case back are you just going to use some metal plate or will it also be 3d printed. I have a spare ronda movement in my parts draw I will have to have a go at making a case for it. This thread has really got me excited about the possibilities.

• Like 1

I'm using freecad and/or opoenscad (depending on what i'm designing) and slicing in Ultimaker cura
As far as the project is concerned noirrac1j can answer, its his baby im just providing the additive manf part. I use all Autodesk products. Fusion 360, Inventor, they also have a powerful slicing app. Ive found that a lot of the end result of a print job depends more on what happens at the beginning.

Noirrac1j-i have some new filliments on the way. One is supposed to print completely smooth. As soon as they come in ill run a couple samples and send them up.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Haven't had much time because of work to follow up on this project, but today I drilled the dual holes into the case....I have to order the plexi and then ask @bjd1020 to try printout out a case back, although I might also try out a stainless steel caseback from a similarly sized watch.

J

20190721_154651.jpg

20190721_154726.jpg

• Similar Content