Why ORIS is garbage. Never Ever Buy One.

14 minutes ago, jdm said:

Swiss regulations allows their watches to claim Swiss Made (that is the legal purpose of the small writing on the face) as long a percent of value or processing is respected. 

And, Swiss regulations allows their watches to claim Swiss Made (that is the legal purpose of the small writing on the face) as long a percent of value or processing is respected.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_made#60%_rule_for_Swiss-made_watches
I believe that the strengthening mentioned in the above entry has been, in the end, approved recently.

Incidentally, also Japan has similar regulation. For examples, the much loved Seiko SARB033 "Japan Domestic Market" case is made in China.  

The only ones that really are any different than an invicta special reserve with a 7750 are Omega Rolex and IWC. At least they make inhouse movements

Depending on what one consider an in-house movement, IWC may or may not qualify into that market (and marketing) industry segment. These are really the type of endless debates one can read on WUS.

Edited by jdm

On 5/21/2019 at 10:07 AM, bjd1020 said:

.... Purchasing the crown was not an option they would allow. Can you imagine if an automobile manufacturer operated in this same way???

Call a Nissan dealer and inquire about parts for their CVT transmissions.

Seiko won't sell parts directly to a customer nor will most electronics companies.  Nothing new about that.

13 minutes ago, nichod said:

Seiko won't sell parts directly to a customer nor will most electronics companies.  Nothing new about that.

Seiko doesn't sell to individuals, but pretty much anyone can buy and even special order Seiko parts from Cousins UK, Borel, Boley, Star Time, etc. These material houses also manage to obtain many Swiss parts, plus the many they had is stock before the restriction. but as per previous link the issue is simple:

• Swatch group has a set and published policy of not providing parts other than to their Authorized Service Centers. Many other Swiss manufactures do the same Also, Swatch is limiting sales of certain ETA movements to companies of the same group.
  • Seiko don't have such a parts restriction policy. They also have a subsidiary company, SII to provide complete mov.ts to OEMs.
  • Like 1

Seiko doesn't sell to individuals, but pretty much anyone can buy and even special order Seiko parts from Cousins UK, Borel, Boley, Star Time, etc. These material houses also manage to obtain many Swiss parts, plus the many they had is stock before the restriction. but as per previous link the issue is simple:
  • Swatch group has a set and published policy of not providing parts other than to their Authorized Service Centers. Many other Swiss manufactures do the same Also, Swatch is limiting sales of certain ETA movements to companies of the same group.
  • Seiko don't have such a parts restriction policy. They also have a subsidiary company, SII to provide complete mov.ts to OEMs.
Exactly. And having more than one service center has a way to keep prices competitive.............

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Oris should be credited with leading the revival of mechanical watches in the 90s. Their re-issue of the pointer date was inspired and it took a while for others to catch up. Yes they took the easy way by putting an ETA movement inside but a decent watch for the price.

I have two, a Williams F1 watch and a black ss pointer date. I've had the Williams for more than 10 years and the Black pointer date for around 5 years. I plan to hang onto them for a while.

Anilv

Edited by anilv

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/9/2019 at 3:16 PM, bjd1020 said:

So I decided about a decade ago to get into the exclusive watch club. Not knowing a ton it came down to The Oris TT1 Chronograph or the Tag Aquaracer.....both utilizing the 7750....however the Aquaracer uses a Elabore grade where the Oris uses a standard. I chose the Oris because of its smaller size.....and a savings of about $200........thats where the nightmare began. After about 4 years of wear the threads between the case and crown began to strip until one day the crown would no longer seat. As you may be aware this basically renders the watch useless. The failure of the crown seating happened durring a time when I was getting ready for work. When I got to work I looked at my watch and noticed a ton of moisture inside of it and the crown out......this happened going outside on a humid day. The movement became toasted. Oris was willing to do absolutely nothing and their only North American service center Boston Watch was willing to charge me a cool $2800 to fix the watch......a mere $300 more than I paid for it. I took on the task of learning to rebuild the movement myself which after a year I have become a 7750 amateur tech and can strip and rebuild it at will. Now.....I needed a new crown....which most of you know takes about 10 mins to install......the MONOPOLY set up by Oris, Boston Watch compnay offered to take my watch and "inspect" and install a new crown for $300. I cannot get this part anywhere else. Unless you want to become handcuffed to this Monopoly at some point and their willingness to gauge you to be able to wear your watch do not buy an Oris. Spend the extra few bucks and get a real watch like a Tag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chip in with this nugget of information.

I was looking at an Oris TT1 chronograph with the rubber bezel on eBay. The bezel was cut and in bad shape, but what the heck, it was only a rubber bezel and should be fairly straightforward/cheap enough to replace. Before I jumped in and made an offer on the watch, I contacted an Oris service centre to enquire as to the price of said bezel... go on, humour me...

£400! Yep, nearly 600 USD for a rubber ring pretending to be a bezel. It was at this point that I wrote off Oris as any kind of sensible proposition. There is no justification on earth for that price, it is pure and simple gouging and Oris have zero credibility with me now.

Just be aware, that if you have an Oris and need a case part, you will pay dearly for it, as they are restricted parts and unavailable to anyone, but authorised dealers/service centres.

Edited by ClusterFoxtrot
Spelling

28 minutes ago, ClusterFoxtrot said:

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chip in with this nugget of information.

I was looking at an Oris TT1 chronograph with the rubber bezel on eBay. The bezel was cut and in bad shape, but what the heck, it was only a rubber bezel and should be fairly straightforward/cheap enough to replace. Before I jumped in and made an offer on the watch, I contacted an Oris service centre to enquire as to the price of said bezel... go on, humour me...

£400! Yep, nearly 600 USD for a rubber ring pretending to be a bezel. It was at this point that I wrote off Oris as any kind of sensible proposition. There is no justification on earth for that price, it is pure and simple gouging and Oris have zero credibility with me now.

Just be aware, that if you have an Oris and need a case part, you will pay dearly for it, as they are restricted parts and unavailable to anyone, but authorised dealers/service centres.

Pretty much like any other watch company these days. 🤷‍♂️

Tom