Cleaning a movement

Yes it is, a 1974 6139-6015 to be more specific. The watch runs pretty well considering it has never been serviced (at least there's no service stamp on the case back, so at least not professionally serviced). The pushers weren't operating the chrono, but after pushing them probably more times then i should've, all of a sudden they're now working! The top pusher starts the chrono no problem, but is a little finicky when stopping it. I click it to stop it, and if that doesn't immediately stop it i just gently squeeze the top pusher without depressing it fully and that stops the chrono. The flyback works too. I'm guessing that this watch just needs a really good cleaning and not the $395 servicing my local watch repairman suggested!

33 minutes ago, bodymassagewatch said:

Yes it is, a 1974 6139-6015 to be more specific. The watch runs pretty well considering it has never been serviced (at least there's no service stamp on the case back, so at least not professionally serviced). The pushers weren't operating the chrono, but after pushing them probably more times then i should've, all of a sudden they're now working! The top pusher starts the chrono no problem, but is a little finicky when stopping it. I click it to stop it, and if that doesn't immediately stop it i just gently squeeze the top pusher without depressing it fully and that stops the chrono. The flyback works too. I'm guessing that this watch just needs a really good cleaning and not the $395 servicing my local watch repairman suggested!

Yes, I'm sure it would benefit from a proper cleaning and lubrication. Have you stripped a chronograph before? The difficulty is in the correct reassembly with proper oil. Lots to keep track of....

22. 6139A.pdf

Minimum oils are Moebius 9010, and 9501 for keyless works, but you'll find lots of information online specifically for chronographs.

J

Edited by noirrac1j

No, i'm very new to the watch servicing side of things. I will just enjoy the watch in its current functioning state until i work up the nerve to service it by practicing on a bunch of junker watches. If the watch has gone without servicing for 44 years, another month of two shouldn't hurt it!

• Like 1

What cleaning solution(s) are best for cleaning parts in an ultrasonic cleaner? I've ordered a cheap cleaner (no heater), is the solution used water mixed with something, or is it an actual cleaning product?

Use quadralene. It’s reasonably priced too. They also manufacture a rinse matched to the cleaner. I use it in a small jam jar stood in the u/s tank, filled with warm water. Works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk