Fe 140-1 - hands not moving

Hello 

I just did an overhaul on the movement (image is another test movement). To me, it's a mystery why the hands not moving when the crown is pulled in. Actually, the watch won't run(seems  there is no activity in the  center wheel). Prior to service, it was running, but turning the hands occasionally, wherefore I took it apart. I tightened the canon pinion as well, but that only helped with resistance when turning hands. Is the gap between center wheel pin and canon pinion causing the issue? 

IMG_20190507_053200738.jpg

IMG_20190507_053217237.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Nucejoe

I might have tightened it slightly too much. Any way to loosen it? I guess the key is the friction wheel marked red on attached image. This wheel is not running when crown pulled in, wherefore the rest  of the wheels towards center not running either. Do I have to tighten that instead? 

photo_editor_1557231400488.jpg

That is your offset canon pinion. On this movement the canon pinion is not at the Mainplate center, but offset to the side. When you tighten the canon pinion, you can test it by turning the crown anti c!ock in set position, if too too tight it will stop the the oscillator.

8 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

That is your offset canon pinion. On this movement the canon pinion is not at the Mainplate center, but offset to the side. When you tighten the canon pinion, you can test it by turning the crown anti c!ock in set position, if too too tight it will stop the the oscillator.

Oil instead of any loosening and turn the canon pinion back& forth through the crown, as if setting hands. Otherwise proper loosening may involve broaching the canon pinion. That is all the culprit there, no other known culprit and you can just observe the functioning of set mech and min train.

• Like 1

Now solved!

I figured the canon pinion in center was too tight, so used your suggestion to loosen it supplied by rolling it forth/back on rear of a thick oiler  Moreover, I slightly tightened the offset minor canon pinion and now all hands moving without too low/high friction when setting. Thanks again! 

Edited by Khan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Khan said:

Now solved!

I figured the canon pinion in center was too tight, so used your suggestion to loosen it supplied by rolling it forth/back on rear of a thick oiler  Moreover, I slightly tightened the offset minor canon pinion and now all hands moving without too low/high friction when setting. Thanks again! 

Glad you got this one running.