Help to identify an old movement

I’ve had this broken down old thing lying about for ages. I kind of like the shape of the case and given the fact it runs I thought I’d take pity on it and bring it back to life if I could. The hands are missing and on closer inspection it looks like the post for the seconds hand has broken. I can find no markings on the main plate to say what the movement might be, then maybe I could track down a replacement part. Can anyone tell me what it is please?

D03B6611-6158-410A-9B0E-6EE796C1214F.thumb.jpeg.92b958ab0e6f9418e54bcccbea0cb368.jpegC70C10EB-8C1B-4BDA-97D7-74F0573252B1.thumb.jpeg.885b934a71ef32d3843de2f80e6127f0.jpegB7F226A4-7A4D-420D-AF55-158A6437DF84.thumb.jpeg.fd1d4efd4a778772628de88c6ed14840.jpeg

I don’t know what’s been happening here but the underside of the bridge is badly marked.

1470F24A-3081-42B0-B0BF-C816BCEEA26F.thumb.jpeg.4ff2ad89a68a68a8a1bfd440898cac54.jpeg

A36287C1-37A5-429B-AA3F-AB453B958635.thumb.jpeg.69c7cfde03341332d8dae84e853b5450.jpeg

5368F6E8-4AA2-48FD-8FE1-0BEDEE94B78B.thumb.jpeg.c85b720eb412cd6dfadd6294ecaa2e4b.jpeg

I wonder if there is such a thing as a second hand with a long pipe that would reach onto the broken post?

5E9E02AC-BC6E-48AF-9986-849959C46CB3.jpeg

Just by looking at the shock resist on the dial side I would say it is a CYMA movement since it seems to be  equipped with a Cymaflex-II shock protection... But exactly if it is or which in that case is hard to say without the balance in place and information of the movement size (ligne).

29 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's a Revue GT56, a nice little movement.

Mayby not the GT56 but I thought about the Vertex /Revue Tommen caliber 56, but the shock isn't the same maby there is different ones?

Edited by HSL

1470F24A-3081-42B0-B0BF-C816BCEEA26F.jpeg

Very odd, I wonder if the broken piece of second wheel pinion was trapped under there and causing those scores. It certainly looks like steel scraping on brass.

The other thought was someone scrabbling around with a sharp tool trying to line up the wheels when attempting to refit that bridge (aka apprentice marks :P).

If it isn't either of those, maybe it is woodworm... err brass worm...?! ^_^

8 hours ago, rogart63 said:

I wonder if i maybe could have such parts.  Have a look tomorrow. If you are looking for a new wheel? 

Just for the sake of this science and if rogart63 don't find the parts, I would have a spare 56GT to offer for free.
It has a broken pivot on the Balance but otherwise seems OK, but on the other hand this one has the "Standard" non shock on it so that part wouldn't have fitted anyway..
As I'm always curious on interchangeability I could send it to you as a last resort. Just pop a pm if you are intrested

56GT_Back.jpg

56GT_Dial.jpg

Edited by HSL
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HSL said:

Just for the sake of this science and if rogart63 don't find the parts, I would have a spare 56GT to offer for free.
It has a broken pivot on the Balance but otherwise seems OK, but on the other hand this one has the "Standard" non shock on it so that part wouldn't have fitted anyway..
As I'm always curious on interchangeability I could send it to you as a last resort. Just pop a pm if you are intrested

I didn't find any movement parts . Have some stems for revue 59 but that´s about it.  

Edited by rogart63

The saga continues.  Discovered a broken end stone on the lower balance jewel. Are those marks from years of wear or are they where they seat into the jewel hole? Should they be smooth like the one on the left that I removed from a scrap movement to compare?11AE93A5-8698-4385-8F9A-039BBD4CBC89.thumb.jpeg.87c32c8031e9935f436f424fb1aa43a9.jpeg97DEE3B8-EFFC-4A5B-867C-D0E0AF106311.thumb.jpeg.472db59e1e5bb6e35539b94019d8c249.jpeg

Also, what does the FB symbol indicate?

On 5/5/2019 at 10:38 AM, HSL said:

56GT_Back.jpg

56GT_Dial.jpg

Donor looks better than the bride.:lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Eventually, after a few interruptions I am making some progress. It’s a bit of an ugly duckling but at least it’s going. Thanks to @HSL for donating a replacement movement. I swapped the balance wheel from mine onto the balance cock so it all matches up. It seemed ok but I have a feeling it is gaining time. I have not had it running for long so I’ll have to keep an eye on it. Not sure what to do with the hands, they are just bare metal finish apparently. I was wondering if I could “blue” them. I remember using some stuff years ago on an old air rifle barrel but I can’t remember what it was. I still need another crown,  finding something to fit the 4mm tube doesn’t seem straightforward.  

2E66CD6A-56DC-4E7E-BF0F-207B2E7F3BA5.thumb.jpeg.27a27d0d5e31f85083bb91ffcf9780d9.jpeg62EC960B-FCFF-41A9-AB5F-0E30BEDEC879.thumb.jpeg.6688155ca4f033c98aa64d62f5a5eddc.jpeg

• Like 1