[3D-Printed] Watchmaker Tools - Bergeon Style Prat Dust Tray

Darak

Hi,

I designed this Bergeon style part dust tray for watchmakers or hobbyist to put tiny dust sensitive parts to prevent the dust landing on it, it usually comes with a clear glass bell cover, but I can't print glass, untransparent will do for me, enjoy.

The bell cover needs support while printing, I printed in 0.15mm resolution, looks good and works well, if you have more watchmaker tools requirements can be printed in plastic, please let me know, I'll love to design them, thanks.

Thingiverse: Watchmaker tools - Bergeon Style Prat Dust Tray

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3594536

Darak

IMG_0693.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

Edited by Darak
  • Like 4

Looks great, hey what matters is what is in it, not that you can see it!

I think that if you were to make 7S26 holders, able to be used with it or without the case ring, these would do great.

Maybe sized 0.2mm less that the actual diameter, then make 2 radial cuts so it would open slightly to hold. And a small slot to pry it out out,

26 minutes ago, jdm said:

I think that if you were to make 7S26 holders, able to be used with it or without the case ring, these would do great.

Maybe sized 0.2mm less that the actual diameter, then make 2 radial cuts so it would open slightly to hold. And a small slot to pry it out out,

Hi Jdm,

Sounds interesting but hard to imagine, can you drow it on a piece of paper? Thnkas.

Darak

2 hours ago, tritto said:

Seller Hal0eight on eBay (also known as VTA or VintageTimeAustralia) currently sells a 3D printed movement holder for the Seiko 7S series of movements, as well as other common Seiko movement families. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Tritto,

Thanks for sharing, can you tell me why need a movement holder? I didn't get the point, sorry, I'm very new to watchmaking, thanks for your time.

Darak

Hi Tritto,

Thanks for sharing, can you tell me why need a movement holder? I didn't get the point, sorry, I'm very new to watchmaking, thanks for your time.

Darak

I was responding to JDM's suggestion that you print a 7S26 movement holder.

They can be a better way of holding a movement while you're working on it that the usual metal movement holder that screws tighter to grip your movement.

Here is one holding a Seiko 6309 movement.

0cc19dc5c49b559526486ddcb7437081.jpg&key=4418ebb5b37f18821bc384f7236848cd23aecb53fed57699c14024bf6a84e6f3

5 hours ago, jdm said:

Hi Jdm,

Is this what you need? somebody had already made this, and can you tell me why a movement holder? I don't see a use for it, thanks.

Thingiverse: Seiko automatic movement holder
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3471154

Darak

Just now, tritto said:

I was responding to JDM's suggestion that the OP print a 7S26 movement holder.
They can be a better way of holding a movement while you're working on it that the usual metal movement holder that screws tighter to grip your movement.
Here is one holding a Seiko 6309 movement.
0cc19dc5c49b559526486ddcb7437081.jpg

Hi Tritto,

Thanks for your kind reply, ok, I see the point now, is there any advantage using this over using a universal movement holder? I can see I don't need to spend $25 for a universal movement holder if I'm only working on one type of movement, and someone on Thingiverse had designed this, please take a look, thanks.

Thingiverse: Seiko automatic movement holder
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3471154

Darak

Some of the advantages are in the summary that you've linked to. I find them nice and stable with a firm grip on the movement and if you line the movement up right you have cut outs for the stem and dial screws.

1 hour ago, Darak said:

Is this what you need? somebody had already made this, and can you tell me why a movement holder? I don't see a use for it, thanks.

What happens with the traditional holder is that the mov.t slips out all the time, especially when on the plastic ring.

But the item that is really ideal for 3D is mov.t rings. 

And I would be curious to know if 3D can be used for making casting moldings.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

Of course I mean to make the master parts, not the molt itself.

Sure, print in plastic, make a sand mold or vulcanize with some rubber to make a rubber mold .  Or you can get printable wax and then do the lost wax thing....that opens open new doors and being wax you can work the piece, add to it etc before casting, it has a lot of possibilities.   You could even use it for the mold itself, depending on the material being cast

Edited by measuretwice
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tritto said:

Some of the advantages are in the summary that you've linked to. I find them nice and stable with a firm grip on the movement and if you line the movement up right you have cut outs for the stem and dial screws.

Hi Tritto,

Very interesting for sure, but able to do that, I need to have a movement to measure the dimensions, now I only have Seiko 7S36 & 6R15, also 3D printing if you are not using an SLA system, will have low resolution, so something like dial pin will dot have a good result and it will break easy.

Darak

24 minutes ago, Darak said:

Very interesting for sure, but able to do that, I need to have a movement to measure the dimensions, now I only have Seiko 7S36 & 6R15, also 3D printing if you are not using an SLA system, will have low resolution, so something like dial pin will dot have a good result and it will break easy.

Isn't all data downloadable from thingiverse?
Attached detailed dimension data for an identical mov.t. Ideally one should be able have one side hold with the ring installed, and the other without.

NH36_SS.pdf

I designed these which are easily scaleable for whatever size movement you need it to fit.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3501843

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3522501

Because of the nature of FDM being fractionally oversize to specifified dimensions it means that the movement clamps in well and is held solidly while being in a plastic sing it won't get scratched or damaged.

• Like 1

I know what I"m going to print today ! Thanks for sharing your design ... We should start a "watchmaker tools" group on thingiverse there is not nearly enough watchmaker stuff on thingiverse and the things that are there get lost in the noise.

If you don't mind I'm going to redesign the bell in two parts so it can print without any supports.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:54 PM, jdm said:

And I would be curious to know if 3D can be used for making casting moldings.

Yes you totally can there are lots of videos on youtube showing making castings from PLA everything from making epoxy casts to metal casts in Aluminium. One I found particually interesting is what they call "metal cold casting" they mix metal shavings (brass,iron,aluminium,etc) in epoxy to make a finished product that looks like metal and can be polished like metal, but I guess is a bit like MDF is to wood.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SteveT said:

I know what I"m going to print today ! Thanks for sharing your design ... We should start a "watchmaker tools" group on thingiverse there is not nearly enough watchmaker stuff on thingiverse and the things that are there get lost in the noise.

If you don't mind I'm going to redesign the bell in two parts so it can print without any supports.

If you want to start a watchmaker's tools collection feel free to add the few I've created so far.

A hand setting tool and a simple but scalable movement holder.

https://www.thingiverse.com/m1ks/designs

• Like 1