Educate Me Experts

bjd1020

I don't know if the difference in clocks is the same as it is as in for example ETA movements. ETA claims their movements come in four grades; Standard, Elaborated, Top, and Chronometer. 
The biggest differences in these are the quality of the shock resistance , the balance wheel ,hairspring , the regulator , pallet stones and the mainspring. 
Other features one can see is them being decorated and in the amount of positions they are tuned;  the decoration was made to prevent oil from escaping to other parts of the watch but with the introduction of synthetic oils its more of a decorative feature.
The more expensive grades has a Glucydur balance instead of a nickel balance;  Glucydur primarialy are made of beryllium, copper and iron and is said to resist deformation from temperature change and shockbetter than the ordinary balance wheel in nickel. 
You can identifie the Glucydur balance by its radiused spokes; the nickel balance has straight spokes. The hairspring in the lower grades is Nivarox hairsprings and in the higher they are called Anachron here the difference is also said to be the alloy used.
The difference in jewels is in the manufacturing process, the cheaper is pressed out of a finer material while the higher grade jewels are said to be cut in the traditional way.
Then there is the shock protection system, Novodiac verses Incablock , hard to say why one should be better than the other.
The regulator in the higher grades should be a micro regulator making finer tuning possible.

By the pictures abowe I would Imagine the same theories would apply here.

Edited by HSL
swinglish
  • Thanks 1

The second one ( screwless stud carier ) is more advanced, mostly its HS is, due to metalurgical advancement in crystaline structure, with features like,  Integrated stud, integrated collet therefore fixed length, thanks to enhance resistance to deformation and decreased thermal expansion.

Fixed length HS among others mentioned above or not, brought at disposal production  and easy installation of a meaningful disposable complete balance, to save us all the pain of adjusting balance+ HS anew, every time a staff broke or anything that went wrong for that matter. With fixed collet balance complete, all you got to do is to drop the complete BW in place, attach and regulate, together with mobile stud arm, they made bringing into beat the impulse as easy as 1. 2. 3. 

Regards

There is not much to add. It has all been said. The one on the left looks like something from a Chinese movement, from the way the hairspring is attached. Modern balances are manufactured in the best materials for coping with modern day life and living conditions.  

You can find out all you need on the Internet.

There is not much to add. It has all been said. The one on the left looks like something from a Chinese movement, from the way the hairspring is attached. Modern balances are manufactured in the best materials for coping with modern day life and living conditions.  
You can find out all you need on the Internet.
Thanks for taking the time to chime in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m not at all an expert on the subject, but two points which clearly set the two apart are (see photo):

A. The design seems to allow for fine radial adjustment of the shoe. 95ff206303796508bbfbf6adfada559e.jpg
B. The hair spring is terminated by a means other than traditional stud. I’ve seen tissot ladies watches terminated similarly with what appears to be green resin. The disadvantage seems that it would be difficult to remove the hairspring from the cock. Advantages??? I’m not sure.

As I say, I’m not an expert and therefore cannot say which is the better of the two, but just adding my observations for conversation

Regards
Deggsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk