Watch Doesn't Fully Wind Down

Recently replaced the mainspring in a vintage watch (a Westfield 7j).  Cleaned and lubricated watch.  Worked fine for several days.  Now I have a problem in which it stops before the mainspring is fully unwound--power reserve appears to be less than 24 hrs, but I haven't done a precise check.  Just noticed this morning that it was stopped at about 0530.  Prior to this the watch had good power reserve and the mainspring fully unwound--power reserve over 30 hrs.  What kinds of things might cause this?

20190426_115850.jpg

It is fault-finding by elimination.

I would check and see if it works for 24 hours + out of the case, if no remove the dial and hands and try again. If no try this. Is the arbor binding in the barrel? Make sure the arbor has not worn and where it touches the barrel make, sure it is smooth. Are the holes in the barrel good and not worn? Is the barrel bridge worn? Is the spring correct and the right height. Barrel and arbor oiled correctly. If all is correct next is check the train. Let me know how it works out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

It is fault-finding by elimination.

I would check and see if it works for 24 hours + out of the case, if no remove the dial and hands and try again. If no try this. Is the arbor binding in the barrel? Make sure the arbor has not worn and where it touches the barrel make, sure it is smooth. Are the holes in the barrel good and not worn? Is the barrel bridge worn? Is the spring correct and the right height. Barrel and arbor oiled correctly. If all is correct next is check the train. Let me know how it works out.

Thanks much!  What you said makes a lot of sense.  Will do and will let you know.

Did the old mainspring break? If it didnt maybe put it back in and see if the power reserve goes back to 30hrs?

I've had some poor quality springs but they were too strong .. worth a shot anyway if the old spring is present.

Anilv